News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 Cadillac rebuild the power steering gear and pump

Started by Scot Minesinger, February 17, 2018, 08:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Working on a 1965 Cadillac, and the power steering pump and gear work, they just leak.  Plus if the gear is rebuilt, it should tighten up the steering too a little.  Looking for the rebuild kits.  Does anyone know where to get a real good quality set?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello Scot,

When I was rebuilding my 67's pump and gearbox, I found that all the major parts store's rebuild kits were from the same manufacturer. The boxes were just relabeled/different color for the different retailers.  There may be a "high-quality" kit, but I am not aware of one.  Also, since the kits are basically O-rings, snap rings, a seal or two, gaskets, a bushing, a bearing, there may be no such thing as a "high-quality" kit since all the parts are essentially run-of-the-mill items.  Be sure to get a pump rebuild kit hat includes the shaft bushing.

Strictly speaking, a rebuild will take care of any leaks, but a rebuild is not likely to "tighten up" the steering.  That is a function of the proper adjustment/preload of the worm shaft and sector shaft.  I recommend you purchase a low scale (0-30) inch-pounds beam type torque wrench.

My 67's gearbox is a Saginaw model 800 with casting number 5687962.  If this number is on the '65's box, then the two different years' boxes are essentially the same.  Whether or not you have the '65 manual, you may want to look at my steering pump and gearbox rebuild thread here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.msg321517#msg321517

and here:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133691.msg323581#msg323581

The threads include a couple of other links you may find useful.

When rebuilding the gearbox, note that the recirculating balls are two different colors which are difficult to distinguish.  If you can do so, remove the balls one at a time, and put every other ball into a unique container.  Lots of patience is needed for this job.

Respectfully submitted,
Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty