News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Backfire help 56 SDV

Started by Bruce L. Wiley, January 05, 2005, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Coors is ONLY good when it has sat in the can, below a rock of a stream like the Cache le Poudre or higher, getting icy.   After a day of hiking and fishing, nothing tastes better.

On the red wine...absolutely.  One glass a day is excellent for the heart, lowering cholesterol, and blood pressure, and improving the digestion.

But just about anything is good in Colorado.  Been my place since I was a wee child.  

JIM CLC # 15000

01-09-04
Porter, about the only thing to do is put in larger (or smaller?) carb. JETS .
Good Luck, Jim

Bruce L. Wiley

I was reading over some posts yesterday concerning the 56. I found one that covered the generator. I polorized the generator as referenced in the post. Backfire gone!! Now she runs like a top. I would like to thank John, Porter, and everyone on the board for their help. Now I get to move on to carb adjustment.

Porter

The Rocky Mountain Cadillac aficionado has such a positive effect on all of us.

Sharing his expertise and years of trials and tribulations learning all the shortcuts and the tricks of the trade to keep his collection of old Cadillacs in fine tune.

He is a "shoe in" vote for the Cadillac mechanics hall of fame in the first round. Dont think he would touch an HT or Northstar engine though, too hi tech, no ignition points or carburetor.

LOL,

Porter

Porter

I goofed the subject title, used quotation marks on his name.

Porter

Porter

Vacuum gauge engine timing:

http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n8.html TARGET=_blank>http://automotivemileposts.com/garage/v2n8.html

Basically advance the timing as much as possible without any engine ping.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Bruce,

I was wondering just how the Generator problems could have been causing the miss in the engine.

Bruce,
The bewildered Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bruce L. Wiley

I was reading through the forum one day and came across a discussion about generators. It was stated that if the generator is not polarized correctly, it could cause the coil to burn the points. (Bad points cause missfire.) Just for fun, I polarized my generator in accordance with the procedures listed. That is how the generator caused the missfire. (I think!!)

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Thanks Bruce,

I hadnt thought of that, but as I have converted anything I have had with Generators to Alternators, I havent had those problems.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Porter CLC # pending

So the message board served its function, another happy member.

If you ask enough questions and can troubleshoot properly the problem will get solved with all the experience from the braintrust that contributes here.

Porter

Rob Bruining CLC #12428

I remember the 56 Oldsmobile that I had my first year of college one day suddenly shining its "GEN" light when I would turn off the car. The light would only go out if I restarted the car or disconnected the battery. I dont remember it running any different than usual during this time. A local Delco service shop diagnosed it as reversed polarity. Does anybody know why Bruce did not have these same complaints?     Rob

Porter CLC # pending

He has a 56 and knows these cars inside out.

I am curious too.

Porter