News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flowmaster muffler / Eldo 1972

Started by Volker Rechtmann, January 22, 2005, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Rechtmann

Hi there,

is there anybody out who has some experience with flowmaster mufflers on a 1972 Eldo? I like the sound of the series 40 but Im not sure if this would be a little bit too loud? What about the super 40 or the series 40 delta flow?

At the end the sound should represent a little bit more the 500 cui of the engine - this might not be Cadillac-like but it might be a bit more fun!?

Regards,

Volker

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Hi Volker,

I just put the series 40 on my 77 and it was way too loud.  My son is going to put a Raven on his 72 but I do not know which one.  All I can sail pipe.ay is that the Flow Master needed a resonator, so I put a straight muffler back by the the tail pipe.  It sounds great but does not sound too loud.

David #19063

Hello Volker,

It really depends on what you want.  

I had duals and glass packs on my 68 Fleetwood Brougham 472-4 and it was a little on the loud side.

I had duals and glass packs on my 69 Electra 430-4 and it was brutally loud...extremely mean sounding.  Sound like race car.  Surprised I never got a noise ticket.  But then again, she was a 4 door hardtop with wheel skirts...LOL!

I had duals and Flowmaster 50s on my 69 LeSabre 350-4 and it was barely noticeable...disappointing, not enough sound.

Currently, I have duals and Flowmaster 40s on my 71 Electra 455-4 and I think it sounds good, a little loud when you are full throttle with the windows all down, but I like it.  My wife thinks its a little too loud with the windows down.

Next car will get duals and Flowmaster Delta 40s.  

Supposedly, they sound as good outside the car, but have less interior resonance.  And that would be a plus.  They are a little more money than the plan 40s.

All my cars had 2 1/4" exhaust.

I would like to try 2 1/2" next car.

Please let us know what you do.

David

Porter CLC # pending

http://www.flopro.com/FloPro.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.flopro.com/FloPro.htm

I havent tried them or the other brand, maybe Stampie will weigh in here.

Michael Stamps 19507

The Flo Pros, Magnaflow, and Borlans are all good for my use.  I want a more quiet sound than the Flowmasters.  Last time I had flowmasters I put them on a Saab Turbo and you could hear me for a block at least.  Didnt like to sound like all the Mustang 5.0s that the boy racers had.

Stampie

Kevin M. Parkinson 20216

In 2001 I put dual exhaust with the FloPro mufflers on my 68 Sedan deVille.  With no other modifications it sounds very good.  When I start it up at the car cruise people are looking around for the souped up Chevelle that must have just started.  One time I was leaving and overheard some guys commenting about the cam I put in a "cadillac".  Theyre fun but not too loud at driving speed.  

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kparkin72/1968.html TARGET=_blank>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kparkin72/1968.html

David #19063

Hey Kevin,

Thats a nice looking 68 SDV that you have.  Nice to know it sounds means too!

How do you think it would sound if you did put in one of Als performance cams?

David

Randall Ayers McGrew CLC # 17963

Beautiful 68 Sedan DeVille!!  Its so good to have a group who love the same cars I do.  Thanks one and all for posting!  Just feeling good today.

Kevin M. Parkinson 20216

Thanks David
Im sure it would sound even better.  The thought crossed my mind to go all out with it like that.  Im taking baby steps though as Im learning.  It took a while before I finally decided to go with that exhaust set up.  The car is unrestored and I weighed the whole original stock / or not debate.  I have a 67 SDV in better shape and that is going to remain my straight stock original.  The next thing I plan to do is try out an Edelbrock intake on the 68.

David #19063

Keith,

Well, when your whitewalls wear out, you can go to 255 70R15s on your stock 6" rims.

Or e-mail Stampie, and he can tell you which steel 8" rims to buy and use 275 60R15s.

David