News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

42 Cadillac - Desirable to Restore?

Started by BRYAN MORAN, January 22, 2005, 10:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRYAN MORAN

I have located a 42 Cadillac 2 door sedanette, unknown series number - no motor (maybe no transmission, cant remember) I typically collect Buicks but I have a strong interest in Buicks and Cadillacs.

I have also located a 1941 Series 67 Imperial limosine and a 1947 Series 75, the one with 1004 production. I really like the Cadillac limousine from 1936 through 1948.

I would appreciate thoughts on purchasing these cars as long term, restore correctly projects with the sole purpose of satisfactorily enjoying them later on. I am not necessarily into making $$$ off my restorations.

Thanks
I used to be a CLC member and may join just so I can attend the Grand National - which is in my hometown this year. Why cant I come visit without joining though - bad way to spread the Cadillac word to younger guys like me (41)?

Thanks
Bryan Moran

(I have owned a 1941 model 60 Special, 1964 Coupe deVille, and 1967 Eldorado)

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Bryon,

I feel, what a collector puts his/her time, effort and money into should be a personal choice. As far as ROE is concerned, there are far better places to put money to make money. However, the cars you mention would be high on my “love to own” list. I’m intrigued by ’42 models because of the short production run. That also means limited trim and body parts, that I find the most expensive and time consuming part of restoration. Imagine trying to find a flow through fender panel or chrome trim for a ’42 Roadmaster. The ’42 Cadillac would be a bit easier than a Buick because the Cadillac body is closer to ’41.  Mechanically you should be able to find what you need for the ’42 because many parts were carried over from ’41 and into the 46-48 production.

There were about 900  â€™41 Series 67s built causing the same parts problem as the ’42. You’ll just have to look longer and harder given the greater number of trim parts. IMHO, it’s also the most glamorous and interesting car of the trio. If I had unlimited resources I’d buy all three. If I had to chose, I consider the condition the most important factor: body/rust first, chrome trim and availability second, and mechanicals third.

I feel the same as you do about restricting attendance to the show fields to members only. It limits our exposure to potential new members. Our region has 125 members and I know of only 2 whom under 40 years old. We need exposure to younger people and their children to generate interest on the part of future generations. I admit to a selfish motive also. Our “old Cadillacs” are a limited commodity.  Greater interest and membership in the CLC, creates greater the demand for our Cadillacs……….AND………increases their value. Who knows, restoration might become a break even proposition?

Let us know what you do, and hope you consider rejoining.

Ralph

Porter CLC # pending

Having previously lived in NJ I brought my 66 Vette down to Raceway Park a few times for some car shows.

They rake in a lot of money with entrance fees, however have you ever witnessed a person with a large plastic cup of coke lean over the side of a convertible and spill the soda in the interior ? I have, not my car though.

If you have a nice car you better rope it off, some people just arent too bright, the youngsters, etc.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Porter,

I had a similar experience in Hershey when an ADULT spilled beer in my engine compartment at 10:00 AM ! (He was not dealt with because there were too many witnesses) I’d like to think our membership and their families have greater respect for the cars, but there is no assurance that accidental damage won’t happen.I should have clarified my comment to mean the judging day only, when owners/members are around their cars. The field should be off limits at all other times.
   There would have to be some rules and policing done, starting with a notice that visitors will be held responsible for any damage they cause. Admission might also be by visitor application / identification / sign up with a nominal fee which could be applied toward joining the CLC.
   Just a thought……don’t want to cause another “thread”.

Ralph

Porter CLC # pending

Ralph,

As a matter of fact your comments were great, I think there is too much emaphasis on the rare Cadillacs for millionaires only.

Hard to find parts, troublesome "state of the art" bells and whistles using the best technology years ago, expensive interiors to restore, etc.

The basic "undesirable" Cadillacs  were built in mass #s, have the most readily available parts, less bells and whistles to fail and are the most affordable, also more likely good cars that get stripped just for parts.

Which leads to another "shanghai", saving them from the crusher with a little customizing to make them desirable to you.

The bottom line is you dont restore/rebuild/customize these cars for resale, it is for the hobbyist nutcase and their eventual driving enjoyment.

For the millionaires we have restoration shops. And the (sic) custom shops.

Porter

Bryan Moran

Ralph,
Thanks for your comments. The problem is in fact that I want all 3. I also struggle with which car clubs to join. Once, I was spread pretty thin by involvement in 3 clubs, the WP Chrysler Club, the CLC, and the Buick Club. I love most old cars, including the independents. If I were to rejoin, I would like to own a couple of these 3 considerations for club support and camaraderie. I currently own a 49 Roadmaster Sedanette only - plus a couple of old trucks.

Thanks again,
Bryan

David #19063

Hello Bryan,

Currently, I belong to the CLC and the BCA and a local car club R-Rides in NW Indiana.  

If you can get them all and join them both.

Personally, I like Cadillacs, Buicks, and Chyryslers.  

Plus, I would like a 69 Continental or 69 Thunderbird so I could have suicide doors for once as I doubt I could find a nice 58 Eldorado Brougham in my price range...LOL!

You only live once...

David