News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2005 STS v. CTS

Started by Pat, January 24, 2005, 08:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Can someone explain the sheet metal differences, i can hardly tell them apart.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

The CTS has more creases/lines in the bodyside and front fenders; notice behind the rear door/sail panel (C-pillar)--all of the creases of the CTS have been erased on the STS, thus critics write that Bob Lutz influence on Cadillacs Art & Science styling was to soften the look.The rear lights on the CTS resemble those on the SRX and XLR models, with bevel design slanting forward up over the trunk; on the STS the rear lights are only a vertical design, and they are LED lighted, illuminating faster than traditional lights. The CTS has a bodyside molding built-in to the doors, and the sides of the STS are blank. The STS is a larger vehicle, and the interiors are also different, mainly their instrument panels, equipment levels (push button start on the STS, etc.) These are the major differences.

I have owned an 03 CTS Sport model since September 2002, and it has been trouble-free for 27,500 miles. The car is great--comfortable, a nice size for everyday use, and filled with Cadillac luxuries. Like all newer cars, though, it lacks the specialness of our older Cadillacs (I have a 71 Eldorado Convertible, too) but these new models are every bit fine Cadillacs, in my opinion.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Rich,

You mean that Cadillac is going all the way back to "push button start on the STS"?

Next thing, they will go back to a switch on the rear so that the driver has to turn the tail lights on before driving off.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Bruce, mention of the "push button start on the STS" refers to the feature, standard on the STS Sedans and XLR Roadsters, whereby the vehicle recognizes a key fob (transmitter) carried by the driver, and there is a button on the right side of the dash panel that says "Push to Start." As part of the personalization/programmable features, the button can be activated so the driver/owner never has to take out keys to start the vehicle. Similarly, the car can be programmed to recognize the transmitter within a certain distance of the car and unlock it, etc. Voila! No more burden of taking out your keys to get in the car and/or drive away--though Im sure I can live without it, it is very high tech! Mercedes offers a similar set-up on their larger, top models, and I read that their owner/driver can receive a credit card sized (fits in wallet) transmitter, so hence would not even have to carry the bulky fob transmitter.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Rich,

Thanks for the explanation.

Does that mean that vehicles thesedays dont have to have steering column locks?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Good question, Bruce. Just checked on the Cadillac.com site and looked at interior pictures of the XLR--there is no steering column lock/key slot. I couldnt see the steering column in pictures of the STS. I guess the driver hands over the fob, or leaves it in the car, in order to valet park? Interesting. There also do not appear to be any key cylinders on the door handles, and the XLR has unique touch pads that electrically release the doors in order to open them. Theyre quite slick in operation.

David #19063

So...how do you get the door (or the hood) open if you have a dead battery?

I hope they thought about it!

David

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

David,

The "Dead Battery" mention reminded me of what happened to me in 2002 when we were preparing to leave Orange County in California for our 3 3/4 month tour.

We had to replace the battery in our recently purchased 89 Tbird (couldnt find a 72 Eldo to buy), and when we connected up the new battery, it instantly locked the doors.

Wouldnt have been a problem except that both sets of keys were in the ignition, and the windows were wound up tight, and the doors were closed.

If it wasnt for the coded touch-pad on the door, and the fact that we had the phone number of the seller, it would have been worse than what it could have turned out to be.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV