News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1965 Cad: Transmission selection lever question

Started by Frank Wurpel, January 26, 2005, 06:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Wurpel

Hi guys,

After finally installing the steering column in my 1965 Cadillac last weekend (after 3 years of being out), I needed to adjust the automatic transmission linkage. Doing so, I discoverd that there only appear to be two (!) locked positions on the steering column selection lever, being "Park" and "Low". It is therefore possible to shift the selection handle on the steering column from "Drive" through "Neutral" straight into "Reverse" without pulling the selection handle towards you. Is this normal??
I would have expected a mechanical stop, preventing you from accidentally shifting from drive into reverse......
PS, the car is equipped with the "Tilt and Telescopic" steering column

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks,

Frank Wurpel
Lumphanan, Scotland (UK)

Todd Rothrauff

Frank,

I have not owned my 1965 DeVille Convertible in several years.  However, I remember being able to do exactly what you describe.  I discovered this early in my ownership experience as I went to shift into neutral while I was moving.  So, I gave an upward tap on the lever.  Thankfully, I was moving very slowly in my driveway.  As far as I know, this condition is normal.

Todd