News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help / Advice needed - White leather

Started by Jim Bottini, July 10, 2006, 10:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bottini

Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a mint condition 76 DeVille with white leather.  There are no rips or tears however as it has been driven (58k original miles) the small creases etc seem to have gotten dirty. I have tried Simple Green and every leather cleaner including saddle soap from every parts store on it and no help.  How do I make them look pristine again?  Is dying the only answer?

Thanks for any tips or input you may have!

Have a GREAT week!

JB

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

I have found that "Fast Orange" handcleaner WITHOUT pumice (make sure it is the smooth variety) rubbed in by hand will pull most dirt out of the leathers, whether it is white or other light colors. Wipe clean with a damp cloth. Cleans just like it does your hands. I then wipe over the leather with the new Pledge wipes, for a nice semi-gloss finish.  However, if you are trying to sell the car you may not want it smelling like "Lemons", but I kind of like the fresh citrus scent.

Pat Caruso CLC #17825

Jim,

I own a 75 Sedan deVille and 79 Coupe deVille - both with white leather - gotta love the 1970s !!

I agree with Tim that you want to use something without an abrasive - the saddle soap was a good start.

I have had excellent results using a product called Leatherique (www.leatherique.com)  It was recommended by a friend who used it on his Rolls-Royce and Bentley.  It opens the pores and pushes out the dirt. The only "problem" with the product is that it may be an all-day project.  The customer service folks at Leatherique are very helpful, so feel free to ask questions.  Youll get a full set of instructions with the products, but basically:

1) Position the car where it will get a lot of sun - youll see why in Step #3.
2) Rub in the CLEANER.  It is a natural oil product so you can actually use your bare hands to work it in to the seams and creases.
3) Roll up the windows and park the car in the sun and let it bake.  The heat will open the pores and really let the cleaner do its job.  This is the step that may take a few hours.
4) Rub the cleaner off.
5) Rub CONDITIONER in and let sit.
6) Rub conditioner off with damp towel.
7) Buff the seats dry.

So, youll see youve actually rubbed the seats a total of five times, but the results will be great.  Ive used this on the tan seats on my 2002 BMW and they look and feel brand new.

As a side note - do you have a white vinyl top, to go with that white interior?  If so, I recommend Murphys Oil (spray floor cleaner) and a very soft brush.  This was a tip I got off this message board about 2 years ago and it was the best piece of advice I ever got.  If you read the Murphys label, youll see it mentions that it is for vinyl, too, so dont worry.  Scrub it in and wipe it off a square foot at a time.

Good Luck!
Pat (Raritan River & Valley Forge CLC)

Jim Bottini

Thank you both VERY much!  

After visiting the leatherique site, Ive decided to order it and give it a try!  Ill be sure to let you know how it works for me!!!

Have a GREAT weekend!