News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 Eldo/Carter AFB intake manifold base gasket questions.

Started by Eldosaurus Rex, December 05, 2016, 02:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldosaurus Rex

Hi all,
  Been pouring through the threads looking for answers...for weeks!

I am sure of the gasket/shim order.
Manifold/gasket/phenolic spacer/gasket/shim/carb.

I placed the gasket on the right (#2 see photo) onto the intake, the one with the matching holes for the heat crossover.  And then another atop the spacer.
Is gasket #2 on the right correct?  Should I be using the one on the left (#1) that would block those passages?  A local classic mechanic seems to think so and when I was at his shop last week, I watched him pull a carb off a 66 Vette and the gasket DID indeed cover the holes.  He showed me where the heat had burned through on both sides.

Also, the gasket on the right has a triangular hole betwix the secondary holes.
I ordered my gaskets from NAPA, however on the Autozone site they indicate that the one with the triangular hole is for Rochester application and show one without the triangular hole for Carter...

So. First gasket down #1 or #2 in pic?  If it's the one on the right (#2)should it have the triangluar hole or not?

It doesn't make sense to me why I'd cover the heat crossover holes/slots with a gasket.  Yet that Vette was like that and he said it was correct.
Like many here, he also recommends blocking them off as we are in Florida.

I myself wish to keep it all original.

I'm still having a small amount off popping out the exhaust.  Mildly at idle, strong on decel.

I thank you all in advance for your sound advice.

Leo
1966 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible
"The Eldosaurus Rex"

Bobby B

Leo,
Hi. 'Vette is not the same as your car. What's the model # of the carburetor on the Tag?
                                                                                              Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

dadscad

For what it is worth, my 63 with the Carter AFB uses two of the #2 style gasket. Or two of the 60034 gasket at Autozone.  Not sure if the triangular hole makes much difference.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Eldosaurus Rex

Quote from: Bobby B on December 05, 2016, 06:51:45 PM
Leo,
Hi. 'Vette is not the same as your car. What's the model # of the carburetor on the Tag?
                                                                                              Bobby

Hi Bobby,
  It's understood that the Vette is not the same car/engine, however the heat crossover was similar.  And it was blocked by the bottom gasket...

The carburetor is stamped (left front ear) # 3904S

This is a replacement carb from Carburetor Exchange.
The carb that was removed (cracked mounting ear) is stamped # 3903S

They appear to be identical physically.

The engine ran fine before the swap leading me to believe I fudged the install somehow.

New cap, rotor, points and dist vacuum advance.
Dead Tiimed @5*, dwell @30, vacuum @21 steady, RPM@480

I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Leo

P.S. There is a chance that I simply used the wrong sized hammer...!   ;D

"The Eldosaurus Rex"

Eldosaurus Rex

Quote from: dadscad on December 05, 2016, 07:32:21 PM
For what it is worth, my 63 with the Carter AFB uses two of the #2 style gasket. Or two of the 60034 gasket at Autozone.  Not sure if the triangular hole makes much difference.

Hi Dadscad,
  The 60034's are what I have on it now.  I have two new, quality NAPA ones standing by.

I've always wanted a 62/63!  Fins baby, fins!

Thank you for your input!

Leo
"The Eldosaurus Rex"

Eldosaurus Rex

I'm still needing advice on this one!
All I want for Christmas is to drive my Cadillac!

Leo
"The Eldosaurus Rex"