News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado Biarritz Correct Pinstripe Colors ?

Started by just4fun, November 24, 2008, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just4fun

Does anyone have a color and trim book for '78 Cadillac which shows correct pinstripe colors for an Eldorado Biarritz, Colonial Yellow with Saddle interior accents ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you !
Rich Romanowski

Dave Shepherd

My memory from my dealership days back then points to a saddle stripe, maybe slightly darker than the interior.

jagbuxx #12944

A Colonial Yellow Biarritz would have had a yellow interior, Saddle would have come with Ruidiso Sadle exterior-unless the car was special ordered based on the trim tag.
The accent stripes would have been Dark Yellow...
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

just4fun

Thanks all for responding. I didn't mean to be confusing. My car is 3 X yellow, however the dash and carpets are saddle or tan. I know most makers would go with the saddle stripes but some yellow Eldos I've seen look like the stripes have a little sparkle to them and not a flat looking saddle ?
Rich Romanowski

Walter Youshock

I don't have the books or the color charts, but I would figure the stripes might match an interior color or be darker...

Pinstripe colors were not usually the same as any body color. Cadillac always had Preferred colors for accent stripes.

On that color car, I could see something like brown, Frost Orange (a firemist body color, but not as metallic), or maybe even black.

As little as 30 years ago, color still played a major part in Cadillac.  Picture a black '77 Brougham with color-coded wheel covers, an antique green pinstripe and antique green Florentine velvet interior.  I knew such a car and it was unbelievable.  Not unlike a '56 60 Special owned by Daisy...

I have a silver '91 Brougham.  The preferred pinstripe color is dark gray.  Red, maroon, black, navy blue, light or medium blue, and yellow could work on it, but most of those colors are "not suggested as an accent color".

Our local funeral home had a 1989 Superior in Academy gray metallic with a dark blue cloth interior and a teal blue pinstripe.  That stripe made the car.

My dream car is a '92 Brougham d'Elegance in black sapphire with a yellow or white pinstripe and gray cloth interior.  Outside of a special order, I bet there are none out there.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

76eldo

I will take a look in my books.  I have a 76 book, so it would be similar.

I will let you know.

Might also be in the shop manual, worth a look.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Alfred Gee

I took a look in my 1977 Data Book and the recommended accent stripe for #50 naples yellow was either dark gold or black.

Cheers!

Alfred

1981 Seville Elegante
2008 CTS

just4fun

Thanks to all !!! I was thinking a darker saddle or gold with a bit of metallic to make them stand out, however, I await your discoveries. Were these stripes painted or vinyl ? I somehow remember cadillac doing both variations over the years ???
Rich Romanowski

Warren Rauch

From the 1978 Data book.  For all models of 1978 ,Colonial Yellow was code 54. Accent stripe recommendation #1 was (E) dark Yellow and #2 was (K) black.  In the section on Eldorado Custom Biarritz It says in part "A stainless steel accent moulding with black accent grooves and a brushed center area runs from the rear to the hood' widening to a unique spearlike design.There are special accent stripes for the front fenders,doors and rear quarter panels." No mention is made of what color the stripes are in this section.Warren

just4fun

This forum is the best and you guys are so knowledgeable. i only wish I can return the favor one day !!!

Rich
Rich Romanowski

Ted in Olympia WA

I have yellow Biarrtz parts car at home and when I get there I will let you know.  I think your dash and carpet must have been changed at some point.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

just4fun

Ted,

My dash and carpets were never changed. This is the way the yellow cars came. There are 2 on ebay which I've copied to show below. Aside from the dash and carpets, everything else is yellow. Check these pics out...

Rich Romanowski

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ted in Olympia WA

The second picture does look yellow like mine but the first one looks tan.  I don't know what to tell you except that mayby thay just came both ways.  I do know of a 76 that is yellow on the outside and tan on the interior but I tought the 78 were all yellow.

Edit: I looked at the two on eBay and it may be just a matter of opinion.  The tan on this dash is not the same as the light brown tan on the earier models.  It's just hard to tell when I'm 3,300 miles away.  Anyway if your car looks like the ones on eBay I have a lot of good parts for you.  And the price they are going for on eBay makes me wonder why I'm parting it out.

TED
Selling used Eldorado Parts from 1971-1978.  Member Number 25659.

just4fun

Here's another pic of one of those caddys on ebay. Every yellow car I remember seeing has had this combo. The more I look at the darker accent color, the more it looks like a dark yellow or like dried up Mustard...lol.
Rich Romanowski