News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado Timing Gear

Started by waterzap, August 31, 2012, 11:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Got my timing gear replaced today. Was planning to do it myself next year, but by accident went past the shop I usually use. They said things are slow, and if I could help them out with a bit of business, they would give me a good rate. They did a great job, glad I got it done. CMD Automotive in Charlotte if anyone is interested. Always have had good service with them.

Attached is the old timing gear. All still thankfully in one piece, so dont have to worry about anything in the pickup. You cannot see it on the pic, but there were small cracks in the plastic, so could have started breaking apart any time now.

Just wanted to show anyone that still has the old timing gear. There is a lot of plastic on those gears to break off :-) When I replaced the timing gear in my Seville, probably got 30% more power from the engine. Difference was not as big in this case, seeing the gear was in much better condition. Still feels a bit better. Maybe 5%

So if you think your car should have a bit moore oomph, it could be the timing gear. If the gear is worn out, your timing will constantly be off. Replace your timing gears and chain. Your engine will thank you for it.
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

Never seen one that looked that good before, even 'back in the day'.   How many miles were on this?  Wonder if that one maybe had been replaced at some point in its life?  I have a 75 with less than 50k on it and it had chunks missing.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

waterzap

I was surprised too. Car has just over 70k on it . Might have been replaced before. Who knows. The other day I dropped the gas tank. Dirty outside, but looked like new inside too. Previous owner had transmission fluid changed just before I bought the car, and apparently the transmission also looked like new. Just lucky I guess. You never know with these old cars.

I am just glad I don't have to worry about plastic in the pickup.
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

That is a good thing in an Eldorado since step one to 'remove the oil pan' is 'remove engine from chassis'.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason