News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

66 DeVille Exhaust Manifold

Started by G. Hodges CLC# 18197, November 28, 2006, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G. Hodges CLC# 18197

I need to remove and replace the right (passenger side) exhaust manifold.  

Does anyone have any suggustions on good, reputable sources for these parts?  Im aware of the more familiar parts suppliers (e.g., USA Part, dBaers).  

Also, Im not so concerned about the manifold looking original as the engine compartment is never going to be a show piece.  Having said that, are there any advantages in going reman vs. good used?  Are there any removal and replacement issues that I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for your interest and suggestions...

Lars Kneller 8246

The main risk in removing the manifold is breaking the bolts.  If that happens you have to remove the head and have them drilled out.  I am not aware of any remanufactured manifolds unless you are talking about ones that have had their cracks repaired and/or been machined to be flat. Good used is fine as long as you have it checked for cracks and machined flat if it is warped.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

Are there any removal and replacement issues that I should look out for?

As usual Lars advice is right on.

If you read your 66 Shop Manual about removing/replacing exhaust manifolds you will see that it says the engine is first to be removed from the car!  I can tell you from experience that it is certainly a whole lot easier to remove the manifolds that way but it is not necessary.  Besides, removing and replacing the engine (and transmission with it) obviously makes the overall job a lot more difficult and time consuming.  I replaced the LEFT side exh. manifold on my 66 after getting everything out of the way first including removal of the power steering hoses.  Then I proceeded to break off at least a couple of bolts  (it was awhile ago), fortunately (?) they broke off leaving plenty of shank left once the old manifold was finally off.  Vice grips, PB Blaster, and time got the broken bolts out without pulling the heads.  For me, it was a MISERABLE job, but it got done, I dont envy you.

Geoff Newcombe #4719

One more quick note.  If your manifold has not been off before, you will find that the factory did not use gaskets when assembling the manifolds to the engine.  You will most definitely want to use them when you put yours back together, I believe I ordered mine through my local NAPA store.  If they are not available through NAPA (or another local parts store) without buying the whole engine gasket kit, there are several sources that have them, one excellent source is Coopers Vintage Auto Parts ......  http://www.coopersvintage.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.coopersvintage.com/

Do yourself (or the next guy) a favor and use Never Seez or its equivalent on the bolts when reassembling.  I used Grade 8 bolts (with a heavy washer) from NAPA to replace the ones I broke.

ALSO, if your manifold is just cracked it CAN be repaired once off the car.  It will take a professional welder to do it (cast iron), but to him it should not be a big deal.  Been there, done that also.