News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'74 eldo head light bulbs

Started by Viator Trudeau, November 19, 2016, 07:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

I want to install halogen bulbs on my Eldo. I looked at what was there and the dim bulbs location are halogen,                                                                              the brights are std.  Is it better to have halogen's in the bright locations too?  Advance has them for $17.00 each.  Does the manual have instructions to install them.

V. Trudeau

The Tassie Devil(le)

It is best to have the best lights you can get, especially for country night driving.

The Halogens are going to be better than the standard lights, and installing relays to get the power to the globes is even better still.

One of the problems with installing higher "power-drawing" lights is that the original light switch has to "work" harder, and this can lead to internal switch contact failure.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Viator Trudeau

Bruce:  The halogen bulbs Bill Hirsch sells in the Self Starter claim hardly any additional drain on the battery.  Do various manufactures have different wattages on their bulbs?  I will call Hirsch on specs on their bulbs verses the big box stores.

V.Trudeau

Viator Trudeau

Were the '74 eldo's factory equiped W/ halogen bulbs in the dim location?

V.Trudeau

Scot Minesinger

Install the halogens on all four.  To install remove chrome like bezel.  There should be three small stainless steel screws that anchor a ring of stainless steel that holds each light (12 total).  This is last year of round headlights.  This is a real easy job, once you remove the headlight surround bezel you will see.  This does not impact alignment, but I would still check it when finished.  The key to a good alignment job is you can see well after.  I drive my 1970 Cadillac at night all the time.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Viator Trudeau

Aiming headlight bulbs::::  I have 4 or 5 manuals for my "74 Eldorado'.  I cant find any info on aiming targets for the head light bulbs.  Its a screw driver job, and I have seen the targets, as I am having a problem doing it right.  Where can I find A target.

V.Trudeau

P S I moved to Virginia in June of 1975 from Illinois( they have no annual inspection there) where the have state auto inspection. For the first three years my '91 brougham passed the light inspection, till the insp. station owner needed to make a little money obtained the lasted tester and flunked me after 3 years and had a $40.00 charge to make it right. This was fraud so I call the state trooper in charge of them and had the station owner make it right.  I felt much safer after that.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Viator Trudeau on December 02, 2016, 02:13:51 AM
Aiming headlight bulbs::::  I have 4 or 5 manuals for my "74 Eldorado'.  I cant find any info on aiming targets for the head light bulbs.  Its a screw driver job, and I have seen the targets, as I am having a problem doing it right.  Where can I find A target.  V.Trudeau 
G'day Viator,

What I do to adjust the headlights on my cars is one of two ways.

The first(at night) is to find a yard with a wall, and sufficient ground to reverse back around 100 or more feet, then individually adjust each low beam light so it shows the cut-off line at the base of the wall.   It is handy to have a piece of cardboard that I can cover up the opposite light, then do the other side.   Here in Hobart, we have the wharves with large sheds, and areas of concrete where I have been able to do it for many years.   One can drive forwards and backwards, making sure one doesn't go too far backwards and accidentally drive over the edge and into the harbour, and watch the illumination of said wall.

With the high beam, I adjust the lights till the beam shows on the wall at a height where I am comfortable.

The second method is to go out to a country road, and do similar adjustments, but illuminating the road ahead.

The secret is to be able to follow another vehicle, and you will notice that the cut-off at the top of low beam is best to be seen on the back of the car ahead, across the trunk lid.   Or slightly lower than the height of your own lights.   

I find that the factory settings, or the recommended settings don't work for me, as I like to have good visibility at night, without blinding the oncoming drivers.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

RobW

74 would have had AC- Guide "POWER BEAM" headlights. Keep in mind anything else is a deduction at a CLC judged event.
I have them my 73 and they're plenty bright enough. Corvette suppliers sell them.
Rob Wirsing

bcroe

If you drive at night, anything lessor should be replaced with halogens. 
5 sets of them here, with plenty of spares.  I experimented with other
retro lights for many years, but settled on halogens when they became
available. 

For headlights to make their potential, they must be properly aimed,
and CLEAN (every night).  Low voltage will impair them, voltage loss
in the 12V or ground leads loses brightness.  I found the loss very small
on mine, and the drain wasn't really increased, so I kept standard wiring
on my cars which had a halogen option.  If yours measures poorly, get
the charging system performance up, check/replace wiring, and relays
can be added to minimize voltage drop plus lengthen the life of the
headlight switch. 

The alignment process here is drive down a straight, level, deserted road
and stop, then throw a coat over other bulbs while I adjust the pattern
of each one. 

Halogens are so much brighter that when I first got them, i had to deliberately
set the low beams a bit lower, or drivers were flashing their lights at me.  But
no compromises on the high beams, and thats another reason I won't use
2 headlight systems.  I changed the front panel on my 79 Cutlass to an 80
to get 4.  good luck, Bruce Roe