News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Eldorado Concept Motorama Show Car

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, August 31, 2012, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N Kahn

The info came via someone who is connected, not GM, they have been of no help to me personally, it was all this gentleman's doing and I thank him enormously.

N Kahn

I hope this quiets the naysayers.

The car # is 50110

Walter Youshock

Love to know what else is hidden in the GM archives.  I'd like to find out more about the '57 Allegre' convertible I have photos of.  Could you pass that on to your contact?

Wonder what the '62 Fleetwood Brougham would have been--possibly a vinyl topped 60 Special?

As for this example--no doubt it's the real deal.  Although the original design is great, those wheel covers are something I'd have changed to the stock version as well.

You are a very lucky man to have found such a treasure!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

rwchatham CLC 21892

Dont want to be a naysayers and do not get offended but that only proves some of the parts are from the so car. It still does not explain the so numbers not being on the tag. I think until you have documentation direct from GM explaining the tag there will always be doubts.
R. Waligora

N Kahn

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on September 28, 2012, 03:47:20 PM
Dont want to be a naysayers and do not get offended but that only proves some of the parts are from the so car. It still does not explain the so numbers not being on the tag. I think until you have documentation direct from GM explaining the tag there will always be doubts.

In your mind, perhaps, but not mine.

rwchatham CLC 21892

So would you mind showing what the build sheet from GM showed?
R. Waligora

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Nadeem,

Those sheets are the "Holy Grail" of GM documents. They have been described, talked and argued about numerous times on this board, but not seen before. Each of the numbers represents a car or job that was built off line â€" not the assembly line - in a styling or engineering studio. One level below thse documents would be the specifics of each job in painful detail because it documents project expenses for the finance depart, who in turnneed to explain expenditures to auditors (company as well as IRS). If your friend at GM had anything to do with, or can authenticate the car, I would have him document what he knows and have it notarized. It will be a valuable addition to the car’s provenance. I believe you have enough documentation to say that the car is the real deal.

On a personal note I want to add to Walter’s comments. I’d love to see pics of some of the special styling of regular production cars like the ’62 Fleetwood Brougham…….I imagine a vinyl roof, writing trays and the broadcloth biscuit style interior. Can you convince him to run an ebay auction for 2 hours in his archives?

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

rwchatham CLC 21892

It would be more convincing if you had documentation from gm showing that car 554 was used to build 50110. A very interesting situation.
R. Waligora

Walter Youshock

What also fascinates me is that this documentation covers several YEARS of cars.  The '63 Eldorado listed is probably the one Roy Schneider included a photo of in "Cadillacs of the Sixties".

Again, might some of these, outside of the styling bucks, gone into hands of GM execs and eventually the general public?  The streets of Detroit must have been an incredible sight--especially Clark!

I would doubt the '62 Brougham would have had the interior accents of the '66-'67.  Most likely the broadcloth interior--my personal favorite.  It probably had just a vinyl top to gauge the feeling of the public to offer it on the '63 Fleetwood and coupes.  Funny how it took until '65 for the vinyl-topped Sixty Special to be called "Brougham".

This car has not begun to reveal all its secrets.  Gives hope that there may be even more Special Editions out there.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

62droptop

Quote from: rwchatham CLC 21892 on September 28, 2012, 03:47:20 PM

just give up already
why cant you just take it for what it is
we are not talking about apollo 13 here

for many cars 50 yrs old, unless you find someone that actually worked on it back then and kept photos etc, you may never get the documents that you are looking
i think he has enough proof and is very happy with the very special car he purchased

g27g28

Nadeem
Looking forward to what other information you have received.   I have made up my mind and it is obviously the show car.  The Lake Mirror Classic car show is Oct 19th and 20th in Lakeland FL.  Any chance you will show the car there?
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

76eldo

I think you have done a great job of uncovering the necessary info to show that the car is indeed a factory custom used in shows for Cadillac.  Great that the car has survived.  Stabilizing the condition of the car was a wise choice.

Good luck with the car and keep piling up the paperwork.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

N Kahn

Thank you all very much for your support.
Greg, I won't be showing it at Lake Mirror but I will bring her out soon. I'll be going to the show, I never miss it, it's wonderful.

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: 62droptop on September 28, 2012, 05:51:13 PM
just give up already
why cant you just take it for what it is
we are not talking about apollo 13 here

for many cars 50 yrs old, unless you find someone that actually worked on it back then and kept photos etc, you may never get the documents that you are looking
i think he has enough proof and is very happy with the very special car he purchased
Give what up ? If this car came up for auction at 100 K with this paper trail would you put your money on it with the paperwork that has been shown. A signed paper by someone  with many mistakes, 10 inches longer 1st car with ac. etc. Or documents from someone connected but not GM. It would not be enough for me. What does the GM build sheet show ? I would like to see the connection between the show car and body 554, thats all plain and simple. Do some research on other gm styling cars and you will see, the so codes on the cars, on the build sheets etc. I once bought a cadillac that had a elvis 45record in the trunk, that does not mean it was elvis's car.
R. Waligora

N Kahn

This is my last word to you Ray, the two sheets above came from researchers at GM, I couldn't get anything from GM, that's what I meant to say, it took someone who knows people there to get the job done, I have their names and email addresses. I myself took no stock in the information I was given with the car and none of it has panned out. I feel you're upset because I turned down your $30,000 offer to buy the car, why would you have wanted the car then when there was very little documentation and now that there's a ton it's some sort of fake?

I really don't want to dignify you further with any comments, good day.

rwchatham CLC 21892

Why are you having an attitude? All I would like to see is some proof connecting the so car to body 554. Why is that wrong?  Until I see that I will be a non believer. Big dea no need to get upset that is the American way. Maybe I'll just order the build sheet myself and take a look since you don't seem to want to post it.  Thank you.
R. Waligora

Davidinhartford

There is no reason to doubt this cars authenticity.     First of all, why would Cadillac build two of them?  They wouldn't.

Secondly, nobody is going to the great expense to recreate a little known showcar.   There was no reason to.   

I find it very plausable that this car was gifted to someone after it was no longer a significant styling display car.   I'm sure by the time the 1964 models were out this car was is storage somewhere.

I'd like to thank Nadeem for sharing these photos with us and the progress of his research and restoration.

N Kahn

I have attempted to get a build sheet from GM and I have had no success whatsoever, if and when I get it I'll gladly put it up here.

OK, I gotta get out to the garage and work on my 59 El Camino, the Turkey Run is coming up soon and these disc brakes ain't gonna install themselves.

Have a good day everyone.

Barry

This is getting really silly ! This gentleman has purchased a legitimate show car, and is kind and generous to share details and photographs with us ! Why on earth do some keep pounding for more paperwork ?? Can we not admit this IS the show car , and allow him to freely share his wonderful find with us without all the nit picking ? I'm as happy over him finding this car as if I had done so !It's by far the most interesting thread I've seen in years ! As the owner of a 61 Biarritz, I look forward to any posts and information he is willing to share ! Barry
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

Guidematic

Exactly. I've been enjoying treading this thread. It's been both fascinating and educational to me. Let's continue it within this scope and not ruin it.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69