News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Where can I buy new Rear Differential Parts for 1970 DeVille for Overhaul?

Started by Scot Minesinger, November 21, 2008, 07:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

The rear differential of my 38 year old 1970 DeVille is starting to go and needs an overhaul.  Having trouble finding the parts.  Need: 1.  Ring and pinion gear (have 2.93 ratio, might go to 3.150, 2.  Carrier bearings & races (two), 3.  Inner pinion bearing and race, 4.  outer pinion bearing and race, 5.  crush sleeve / spacer, 6. Both axle bearings and seals, and 7.  rear cover gasket.  Does anyone know where I can get the parts?

If you want to call me the cell phone is 703-283-2021 between 8am and 8pm. 

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Have you tried looking for a local(ish) clutch/ ujoint/ driveline/ 4x4 place?  For some reason I too have always found rear end parts harder to find than most other parts but a good shop does not seem to have any problems.    I needed parts for my 97 tahoe, looking online there seemed to be many choices and it looked like I was going to have to take it apart to verify what I had then order the parts.   I was getting a drive shaft balanced and had the thought to ask them and the guy said there is only one option and he had the parts in stock for less than mail order prices.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I own a 1970 DeVille with 100k miles and the rear differential needs to be overhauled.  The current differential operates and I could put it off for a while, so only interested in new, such as NOS or current suppliers.  Tried the cadillac dealer, tried Tom's differentials, tried USA parts and etc, any ideas?

cell 703-283-2021

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bill henry

Bill Henry

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dave Shepherd

Napa has the pinion seals and the diff bearings, did not see pinion bearings, though.     Rockauto.com has pinion bearings, axle bearings and cover gaskets.  Other option is a complete housing from a salvage yard.

J

Cadillac got me!!!

bill henry

try applied industrial or bearings inc. they are bearing supply houses if you hve the old bearing they can get you a new one same goes for seals . they are not cheap though.
Bill Henry