News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When to spray clear coat over base

Started by Allen Blackmon, October 28, 2015, 10:04:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen Blackmon

I am using Llimco base and Nason clear on the body. The data sheet states that clear can be sprayed 30 minutes after applying base. I have read on restoration magazines to wait 24 to 48 hours. Which is the better procedure? I would like to do the painting quickly, but not at the expense of durability.

Allen
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1973 Eldorado convertible
1976 Eldorado coupe
1973 Eldorado convertible

Dan LeBlanc

Go by what the data sheet states and not the magazines.  Once the required flash time has elapsed on the basecoat, go over it all with a tack cloth to get any dust that may have settled off and clearcoat it.

The data sheet for the Limco likely states that clear must be applied within 24 hours.

There will be no ill effects of applying the clear after the required flash time indicated on the data sheet.  Imagine how backed up body shops would be if they had to wait 24-48 hours.

One thing I don't like that you're doing is spraying Nason clear over Limco base.  Never a good idea to mix paint systems.  You can get adhesion problems, curing problems, etc. For best results, you should use the same manufacturer from start to finish.  That would be more detrimental to the job than applying clear after the flash period.

Nason is a nice clear, sprays well, but after 24 hours is so hard that it's an absolute b*&^h to wet sand and buff.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

kkarrer

Hello,
    I use Nason quite frequently and your best option is to apply your clear about 30 to 60 min. after applying your Nason basecoat.  You can wait for longer, but more that 24 hours is not recommended.  Higher temps also lessen the wait time.  Some base coats like Spies Hecker can supposedly be cleared several days after application.  Also you may want to consider using a smaller tip on your clear than you did with your base.  1.2 for clear is a good choice for clear.  1.3-...1.4  usually works best for the base. Two coats of base about 10 min. apart (again depending upon heat and reducer speed) is about right and then you'll want two coats of clear withing about 5-10 minutes there depending again upon temp and which hardener you're using...483-78 or 483-79.
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.
1941 6227D coupe
1955 Convertible coupe
1956 Biarritz

Bobby B

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on October 28, 2015, 10:15:22 AM

One thing I don't like that you're doing is spraying Nason clear over Limco base.  Never a good idea to mix paint systems.  You can get adhesion problems, curing problems, etc. For best results, you should use the same manufacturer from start to finish.  That would be more detrimental to the job than applying clear after the flash period.

I agree 100%. My one question is why Limco?  Never a fan of that brand. Just my opinion…..
                                                                                                                           Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

66 Eldo

Allen, all good advice here. Another resource for auto body topics is this forum:    http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

Great people and quite a few professionals are regulars that offer great information and wisdom.

fishnjim

You have created a problem because the base is from one manufacture that expects using their clear coat vs from another supplier.   You'd have to go back to the formulae and check compatibility. 
They other simple thing you can do it spray out a test panel with base, wait the time, then put the clear over and see what happens.   Adjust accordingly.  No sense messing up the whole car after it's partly painted.