News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Help with EGR problem

Started by john rutenberg, February 04, 2006, 11:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john rutenberg

I have a 79 Eldo and I get way tooooooooooooooo much vacuum to my EGR which causes the car to stall on acceleration. Does anyone know how I can limit the amount of vacuum going to the EGR without effecting the flow rate back so the valve can close when the pedal is released???????? I was thinking about maybe putting a small hole in the diaphram of the EGR so the vacuum is ported which will cause the EGR to flutter open instead of competely opening. Please give some adivse to this. Also, please note, even if I put a tiny hole in the EGR diaphram it will now cause me to have a vacuum leak since the vacuum is from a ported source and does not exist at idle.

joe G 12138

Before doing anything that radical have you checked the basics? Number 1, did you verify that your EGR is not stuck full open and operating that way all the time, with the rest of the car adjusted to more or less work around the problem? Also, is there a ported thermal vacuum valve (Switch) up front that may not be operating correctly or bypassed to put vacuum on the EGR all the time? How does the car operate with the vacuum line to the EGR pulled and plugged? Does the EGR move at all?

joe G 12138

Also, dont foget to check the condition of the accelerator pump if Carb equipped. Sounds like similar symtoms.

Porter 21919

Joe,

Its a Bosch FI system.

My source suspects the transducer or perhaps crossed vacuum lines.

John, did you ever get the shop manuals ? Look for the simple and obvious and try to run all the troubleshooting tests.

A CLC member recently bought a 77 Seville out of state, he informed his appraiser of the tendency for this FI system engine to hesitate upon acceleration, he claimed he never would have noticed if he didnt ask him to look for it.

Good luck, dont let get too frustrated, enjoy the game tonight.

Youll get it sorted out.

Porter

john rutenberg

1) It is a Federal car, which means there is on TVS switch,no computer controlled EGR switch and no O2 sensor.2) It is a EFI car. 3) The vacuum lines are routed correctly. 4) I have disconneted it and the car runs like a dream. 5)I am almost assured that it is the backpressure transducer and am unable to fined one. I can get one through Cadillacs Only but its a guessing game. I can buy one, put it on, and hope for the best. He has over 30 Sevilles and Eldos from 76-80 which use the same on most applications. I would have to go out there and spend the day changing them until one happened to work the way it is supposted too. Suggestions????????????????? I was maybe thinking of trying to limit the amount of vacuum going to the EGR??????????????