News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Side View Mirror Mounting Bracket

Started by Highwayman68, December 30, 2015, 11:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

I am looking for the mounting bracket and possibly the mounting pad for a 1968 side view mirror. Anyone who might have one or knows of someone that does or a place I can call please let me know.
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Highwayman68

To be more specific I am looking for the bracket that mounts on the outside of the door that the mirror attaches to. Please see the bracket in the pictures.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Those brackets are VERY hard to find. If you can use the one in the pic as a guide, I suggest you make one.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

cdannhausen_brun

What did u do in the end? I'm looking for the same thing.  I have a 1968 cadillac deville convert. and have an OEM outside rear/side view mirror for it.  The mirror is a perfect "mirror" image of the driver's side with an allen screw at the front used to mount to a bracket.  The left driver's side is joy stick controlled but this right side one is manually adjusted by pushing on the glass itself.  Also, do u know how the bracket is mounted on the door?

cdannhausen_brun

just to be clear I'm looking to mount a RIGHT SIDED (PASSENGER) outside rear/side view mirror

Highwayman68

I had a fabrication shop make me one from scratch using the drivers side mounting bracket. He charged me $20 which I found to be very reasonable for a part that is impossible to find. It isn't as perfect as a factory bracket but no one will ever see it under the mirror. If you need me to see about having another one made I can check in late September, we are north for the summer.

I attached the mounting documents.

cdannhausen_brun

Do u have the name and number of ur fabricator?  Or do u have directions/template/dimensions/measurements of the bracket he/she made?  Did u use stainless steel?  Did u use sheet metal screws or machine screws to attach bracket to door?  Where did u get a gasket, or did u just make one?  Did u just use real black latex rubber?

Highwayman68

I used Tack & Warren Services in Clearwater, FL. He made it by hand and didn't make a template so he would need to have a bracket to use to make another one. We live in the Pittsburgh during the summer, where my Cadillac is, and won't be back in Clearwater till mid to late September. I can go back to him with a bracket and have him make another one then ship it to you.

It was made out of regular steel and painted black.

It will be mounted with screws and nuts as there isn't any mounting accommodations in the door for a mirror to be there. I am having the shop that is repainting my car now mount the mirror for me. I can take pictures of how they mount it and send them to you.

I do not have a gasket and I have not been able to find one so I asked the guys at the shop to make one. I will provide information on what they make when it is completed.

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

cdannhausen_brun

I haven't gotten around to getting a local shop to make me a mounting bracket.  You offered to have ur fabricator at Tack and Warren Srvcs make another outside rear view mirror mounting bracket for the right side.  I understand that u are back in FL in late september, can u ask them to make another please.  TY

Highwayman68

cdannhausen_brun

TY
Christian Dannhausen-Brun
819 South Washington Street
Hinsdale, IL 60521
630 865-8695

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
I hate to see so much confusion on the mounting of these mirrors. The mounting bracket is attached by 2 pan head screws into .154 dia. holes in the skin. I'm not sure what size screws they are & the mounting instructions don't say. I would guess #8.
Make sure you find a copy of the mounting instructions so the mirror is in the correct position.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Highwayman68

I do have the mounting template in pdf to send to who ever wants it.

cdannhausen_brun

Dear Highwayman68,

Did u get a chance to get Tack and Warren Srvcs to make another bracket for me?

Highwayman68

I spoke with Mike about getting his spare to use as a template again, I will meet him next week and will take it straight to the shop so hopefully they do it within a week. I will keep you up to date as this progresses.

Highwayman68

I now have the bracket from Mike to get others made from. Please let me know if you are interested in having a bracket made so I can get them all made at the same time. I will verify tomorrow what the price will be, I believe it was $25 last time.

Highwayman68