News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

42 cad 42-6719

Started by Millard Crafts, September 28, 2005, 03:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millard Crafts

Members: I have a 42 cad 6719 Job # 115 cadillac claims all 67
models are fisher bodys mine is stamped as a fleetwood body, anyone with information that might cover this as a custom model
or a mistake on the plate?

Doug Houston

Thats an interesting point. Cadillacs bodies were made in the Fleetwood plant in Detroit, so it has been reported. I once had a 42-67. The Fleetwood name was on the body plate as is yours. The body style on mine was 42-6723, though all series 67 cars that year had the Fleetwood name on them. I havent thought to look at a 41-67, but Id expect the Fleetwood name on them also, but I dont know.

A few years ago, the Classic Car Club took in the 67 series as full classics. The 41 and 42 Buick Limiteds also come into the CCCA full classic category. Theyre handsome cars!

Barry Wheeler #2189

Both my 1941 6719F and the 41-6733 were body tagged as Fleetwood, I believe. I know they were different there than in the catalogs, so I would assume with my type A personality conflicts with what is published and what is actual, that it is safe to say that they did have the Fleetwood tags. And at this time, who knows what they were thinking of? Wish I still had at least one. Mine is the burgandy one pictured in what I call the green book about Cadillac by LeRoy someone or other. (Has a green 28 phaeton on the dust cover.) I had possibly the last pair of NOS stone guards for it left in the world (not counting Dougs stash), even passing up the chance to sell them to the person owning Hollis Little Red Wagon. The fool who painted the car, instead of loosening the fenders to slip the front edge between the body and fender, took a razor knife and cut them to fit. I could have cried. I did go over in a dark corner and sulked while the other guys with me complemented the painter on his good work in painting the car.

Yann Saunders, 12588

Barry,  the book is Classic Cars - Cadillac by Le Roi Smith and Tony Hossain.  The cover shows a primrose 1931 V8 phaeton.  Keep smiling !

Barry Wheeler #2189

Grin, grin, grin. Mine is green. But it is the same book.

Harry Scott (4195)

I just looked at the two 41s I have, a 6733 (being restored) & a 6719 (parts car), and they both have Body By Fleetwood tags.

Tod - North TX CLC

Millard -

Mine is another 1942 Series 67 with body by Fleetwood.

For such a low production year and model, there seem to be an awful lot of Series 67s still around - seems like everyone on the board has crossed paths with one or more.  Has any one looked at survivor statistics for this model?

Tod

Barry Wheeler #2189

It could be that a lot of the cars survived because they were simply too pretty to junk. The 67s fenders do so much more for the body than the tucked under and kind of cut off look of the Limited at the back.
Also, Red Curtice really lost out when he had his little feud with Cadillac in 1941. Wouldnt the Buick Century really have been sharp with the Series 63 body? Back in the old days when things didnt cost so much, that would have been a real sharp car to make.

Harry Scott (4195)

It would be interesting to know survivor numbers. There have been a number of them on ebay also.

Doug Houston

I too, would like to get an idea how many of the 41 67 cars still survive, as well as the 42. Since the 42 model year was so short, I think that the production of all 67s was in the hundreds. I have a notion that my 42 is still around, but?

Sue 5125

Doug,

Of course you have seen our car (42-6723).  I think that I may have told you that a neighbor about a mile away has a 42-6733.

Doug Houston

Oh, I have, indeed. If someone fails to see THAT car when it goes by, theyre blind.

I wish I knew where the 42-6723 got to that I had. It could still be in the Detroit area. That was one nice car to drive. Had I been able to keep it, I was ready to put a postwar Hydra-Matic in it. While the transmission shifted perfectly, and didnt have a noisy front pump, as Ive told you, the transmission selector lever would vibrate downeard and drop into Low range. Sure made the engine speed up. Very irritating. Thgat wont happen on a postwar transmission.

Steve

I happened to be browsing through Cadillac sites, and found this one. My father has a 1942 cadillac convertible 2 door. I have been wondering the number of those left as well. The number we have always heard was 6!. Which almost makes some sense, given WW2 time, and we have yet been able to pull up any other info. on any 1942 Cad conv. 2 doors in any of our searches. If you have or know of any info on that particular vehicle please contact me, thanks.