News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Whats the best Cadillac V8 engine in the past 20 yesrs?

Started by Eric Falk, September 22, 2008, 11:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio57-62Sedan

I had no choice but to have an Oldsmobile.  At age 12 i built my first small block chevy 327 heads brass pins in the valve studs, Roller rockers, Keith black dome pistons. and a big lumpy stick for a cam I put it in a 79 M.C. They drove it then told me it was too fast.. It took me a long time to forgive them for that. Now that I have made it to 34, I now understand why... I wouldn't put my kid in a machine like that either. The car ended up going to the auction to be sold. I stood there and cryed the whole time telling my father I can't believe you wont let me have My car... So many many years latter the same guy I got my first Monte from showed up at the shop with another Monte with title in hand and gave me the car I have now. He told me he knew how disappointed I was when my dad sold the first one. Besides I pissed and moaned about it for years....lol So my whole point being I was always told what I was going to build and how it was going to be done no if's and's or butt's about it. Now it's my turn to be the crabby old man in the shop, and were going to build my Cadillac my way....LOL

Eric Falk

Thanks to everyone for the information and education.  I asked the question because I'm seriously considering installing a newer engine in my 56 sedan deville and wanted to know the best engine to use.  I've seen some newer cars for sale at reasonable prices and thought I could buy one and use the engine and computer in my car.

Thanks again to everyone.

Eric

TJ Hopland

Are you looking for EFI and best economy possible for such a big car?  If money is not the biggest object and you are willing to hunt down some parts and 'make' some things work I would look at a northstar.  The 60* V6 chevy transmission that was used in the S-10s is almost a direct bolt up for the FWD northstars.  The last few years there is actually a RWD version available but I would not expect them to be as cheap as the FWD models.  That would be the best performance and economy while still keeping a cadillac motor.

Option #2 a 472/500/425 out of a 68-79 RWD car complete with transmission.  This way you get a genuine cadillac motor that makes pretty good power, has a decent amount of aftermarket / hot rod parts available but is not as complex and computered as the northstars would be.   A notch up from there would be one of the many aftermarket EFI systems on one of those motors.  I am running a TBI system in my 73.  You could then look at getting a overdrive lockup transmission to squeeze a few extra MPG's out of it but unless its your daily driver you will not be likely to recover the extra expense of the hardware.  Same really goes for the EFI.  I spent way more than I thought and its not really saving me any gas.

Option #3 cheapest / easiest / most reliable by far (but not nearly as cool) would be any small block chevy with 350 or 400 tranny.   If you want the EFI / OD / Lockup go with the 1/2 ton truck drive line from 87-95.   Should be able to get a donor truck real cheap because there were so darn many out there.  Everybody knows how to work on them Everyone still stocks all the parts for them.

Sounds like you should check out Stampies Modified Cadillac Board.  There may be someone there with your car that has already done a swap like you are thinking about.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eric Falk

Thanks TJ'

I was hoping to be able t install an EFI engine that would provide decent fuel mileage, though fuel economy isnt that important because it's not a daily driver.  I was thinking about a Northstar but from my readings I learned they were mostly FWD, which I didn't know.  I've seen several cars for sale in my area that would have great donor engines and running gear.  I'm hoping I can get the running gear, computer and wiring harness in a donor car for under $3000.00  Do you know which years the Northstar was available in RWD?  That route seems like the best for me.

Thanks again for the tips!

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ohio57-62Sedan

There is no such thing as a Northstar in a Corvette..Ever.... ::)
I would for shure put a Northstar in my Cadillac in a heart beat. If you google a company called Street & Performance they can make you a wiring harness and get you an ECM as well. They really know what there doing there & have a great tech dept.

Guidematic

Eric,

EFI is great, but an engine with a carb is not a liability. A well maintained and properly tuned carbureted engine can be as efficient as any EFI engine, and is a lot simpler to repair, should any problems arise.

My opinion, a '71 or '72 472 or 500 with the THM400 is a good bet. They make plenty of power, run on regular gas and are easy to maintain. Besides, the 472/500 is one of GM's all time great engines.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

35-709

You can also buy an adapter to put a 700R4 overdrive automatic with a locking converter behind the 472/500 engine (Cadillac did not use them).  Slows the engine way down for cruising.  The 700R4 was not a particularly beefy transmission but can be rebuilt with better parts (but without a "shift kit") to take the 472/500's torque and still maintain its smooth operation.  A friend has 3 '34/'35 resto-rods with warmed up 500's or BB Chevy's in them and "built" 700R4's that perform very well.  This is what I am doing with mine.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Otto Skorzeny

Sorry, I was thinking that they used their own version of the Northstar but it's the LS2 I was thinking of. I think I confused myself because the XLR uses the Corvette platform. In any event, whatever they call it, they are good, durable rear drive units. I suppose the XLR engine and tranny setup could be used in a rear drive car.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Gene Moscicki

Quote from: Eric Falk on September 24, 2008, 11:25:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information and education.  I asked the question because I'm seriously considering installing a newer engine in my 56 sedan deville and wanted to know the best engine to use.  I've seen some newer cars for sale at reasonable prices and thought I could buy one and use the engine and computer in my car.

Thanks again to everyone.

Eric
My vote is for the 75 ,76, 500 EFI I have one of these in my 47  electriclally very easy to hook up 2 sources of 12v to the computer and one wire to the fuel pumps. I can leave the car for months without starting and it will fire up at the turn of the key. Others are more complicated to make work. The early Cadillac F.I. systems are not complicated to make work. Any B.O.P turbo 400 works. also look for the 78, 79 425 it has the same system. I think more aftermarket stuff is available for the 500, however you will be limited in camshaft selections as the computer has no means to correct for radical cam profiles.  the 500 has more than enough low end torque to do the job. only oil pan nto use is from the Eldorado , it has a rear sump the De Ville version has a front sump that will hit the front crossmember.
A 350 LT-1 Chevy has more support for conversions, but more complicated with o2 sensors also  found in Cadillacs to keep your ride all cadillac

Guidematic

Quote from: Geoff Newcombe #4719 on September 25, 2008, 01:22:51 PM
You can also buy an adapter to put a 700R4 overdrive automatic with a locking converter behind the 472/500 engine (Cadillac did not use them).  Slows the engine way down for cruising.  The 700R4 was not a particularly beefy transmission but can be rebuilt with better parts (but without a "shift kit") to take the 472/500's torque and still maintain its smooth operation.  A friend has 3 '34/'35 resto-rods with warmed up 500's or BB Chevy's in them and "built" 700R4's that perform very well.  This is what I am doing with mine.

The 200 4R has the same bolt pattern as the Cadillac engine, and can also be beefed up to handle the power. Remember, this is the transmission that was used with the Buick Grand National.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Eric Falk

Quote from: Ohio57-62Sedan on September 25, 2008, 09:50:26 AM
There is no such thing as a Northstar in a Corvette..Ever.... ::)
I would for shure put a Northstar in my Cadillac in a heart beat. If you google a company called Street & Performance they can make you a wiring harness and get you an ECM as well. They really know what there doing there & have a great tech dept.

Thanks for the tip.  I figured it was best to contact them and pick their brains before committing.  I googled Street & Performance and received numerous hits but nothing that seemed to match.  Do you know what city/state they are in?

Thanks,
Eric

Ohio57-62Sedan

Eric,
       Here is their web site......   http://www.hotrodlane.cc/   I dont balme you for checking them out. they can make any engine transmission combination wiring harness that you want.. good luck let us know what you end doing.

John Paul