Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hello ,
    Over the years i have noticed that a lot of cars from the 1950's leak oil one way or another .  Even my 1957 Cadillac leaks a little bit . If i park it for a week or so i have a small accumulation  of motor oil also a few drops of Trans Fluid .  However the Trans fluid is always full .  Other people and old timers tell me they all leak a little . I cant believe this was the case when they were new but who am i to say .

Bill
General Discussion / Re: Door service tag ?
« Last post by marty55cdv on Today at 11:04:45 AM »
  You had me going there for a minute Barry,  wish that was the case,  glad you are ok after your issue at the GN , I see it only sharpened your sense of humor !    Marty
General Discussion / Re: Door service tag ?
« Last post by Barry M Wheeler #2189 on Today at 10:45:04 AM »
Marty, that was put on there by the secretary of the General Manager of Cadillac when the car was new. If it had been returned to Cadillac Motor Car Co. by the first owner, they would have been awarded a new Cadillac every year for ten years. (That is why there is a "T." There were also tags with the letter "O" for one year, and "F" for five years.) She walked along the final assembly line one morning and picked out fifteen cars she liked and a worker attached the tags.

The explanation and instructions were sent to owners at the bottom of a "thank you" for buying letter sent to each purchaser of a new Cadillac that year. Sadly, no customer ever read the entire letter and responded to the offer. And after a year, if a service tech found one of the tags on a car, he was supposed to remove it. Yours must have slipped through the cracks.

Of course, nowadays, the tag is simply a curio. And also, I have way, way too much time on my hands. Couldn't resist.

Your explanation makes much more sense than mine.
General Discussion / Re: 1956 and 1957 Eldorados
« Last post by 59-in-pieces on Today at 10:22:56 AM »
Jon,
Well, the chum has been cast, and I - the contrarian - will take the bait.
From my, view there are two components to offering up an opinion to your question: 1. the cost of the parts, and 2. your skill level to handle the hands on repairs - labor being the more costly .
If you don't have number 2, then stop and walk away.
Although, if you had the $300,000 as was suggested, I know I could restore a pile of ashes into the former car - and so could you.
There is a number 3, but I think you have it and that is the willingness to save and restore cars like these, without I hope,, a sole motivation of a monetary return on your efforts - since it's only a hobby, not a job after all.

I don't want to bad mouth the 56, but it does look tougher - on both levels mentioned above.
On the other hand, the 57 looks more intact, although it is "only a Seville" - I'll get letters on that - the missing key restoration parts will be more pricey and harder to find.

Bottom line - If you have the skills - If the Seville is mostly there - If you are not too mercenary - If you enjoy putting Humpty Dumpty back together for the personal satisfaction, THEN negotiate the best deal you can on the Seville and start your journey to happy motoring of "your own" handy work.

Have fun,
Steve B.
Well, I'll say this, whoever came up with the idea of this award and to name it "The DeCou Award" is genius.

Great way to honor Mr. DeCou and a great way to recognize a long distance driven car.

8)
You can thank Past President Glenn Brown, who accompanied Mr. DeCou on many Grand National trips.
My thought are that if you register to attend the GN, you should be in contention for the Decou.

What is the logic that you have to register for it?
On page 42 of your 2017 CLC International Membership Directory, the DeCou Award and the requirements are explained in detail.
Bryan,
When you test drive the car pay particular attention to how the transmission works. That was the first year for the controlled coupling four speed Hydra-Matic, and there were lots of early problems. Many were rebuilt very early in their life with revised parts and then were very good transmissions. A car with 90000 miles probably has had any transmission problems corrected long ago, but I just want to make you aware of this possible problem area. The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts should be almost undetectable, the 2-3 shift also being very smooth but not as smooth as the others. Obviously, there should also be no bad noises from the transmission, or you will be looking at an expensive repair, with persons competent on this gearbox not readily found.
Bob Schuman
If the original air conditioning system is working, that's impressive in itself.

Would be in a much better position to render meaningful advice with some high quality detail pictures.
Chris,
Unless you have already gone ahead, this would be a god opportunity to be sure your system has the proper TOTAL quantity f oil (11 ounces) distributed as the shop manual indicates throughout the system.  Lack of lubricant is the greatest kipper of shaft seals, and the oil "leaves" with the refrigerant. Invest in a set of O rings and blow out the evaporator and condenser.  You would normally change the dryer so you can put the proper quantity of oil there before it is reinstalled. Distribution is just as important as total quantity, since all the components depend upon oil for operation.
In regards to the Metric, remember in the late 70's Metric" was the thing, and my '79 had all the metric bolts painted blue to aid the mechanics.  For the last 3 decades I have gotten a mixed bag of metric/SAE "bolted" compressors and have a stock of both bolts ready for my next surprise.
Greg Suerfas
It seems an excellent price for a Fleetwood as nice as what you described. If there are things wrong with it that are expensive to repair, then of course that could change the story. But the 1956 Fleetwood as you described it is a very attractive model. Good luck!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10