News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Body # 1 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham

Started by GKC, June 15, 2017, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David King (kz78hy)

I have a spare copy of the April 2015 Hemmings Classic Car (issue 127) where my car was in the Drivable Dream column.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

V63

Quote from: GKC on October 23, 2017, 09:39:14 AM
Yes I heard about the article ,
any idea where I can pick up a copy locally?   Just a larger book store I would hope?
Thanks Grant

The December 2017 issue of Hemmings classic car  ‘should’ hit news stands first week of November. Those with subscriptions are getting them now.

Roger Zimmermann

Good luck with the restoration of that #1 Brougham. I have a copy of the "Roster of Broughams and members* from the past Brougham owner association. The car # 1 has effectively, according to that listing, the paint code 122 and the trim code 2521.
I restored long ago car #230 I still own, but would like to sell. I would never attempt to restore another Brougham!
Next to the specific Brougham shop manual (I have also a copy for sale), there is a specific part book which can help to find out which parts are Brougham specific or shared with the other Cadillac models.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

GKC

Quote from: Dave Ventresca on August 30, 2017, 03:05:43 PM
Mr. Link and others, the database is correct. I saw body #1 with my own eyes in Arizona about 18 years. Black and dusty. I looked right at the data plate. maybe the blue car is same one but painted. Dave
This is # 1s control box and you can see the matching plug in the harness and the mounting plate for the box.
I believe what happened with you seeing body #1s data plate you may have been mistaken about the color because he ALSO has a complete production model that is BLACK.
This car is and was blue and does have the eye.
Im still looking it over for the actual eye. Looking for a open plug under the dash or in the harness somwhere that would make sence. (That is,  assuming this eye had a plug.
Thanks, GKC

GKC

Sorry for the mistake on the first picture.
These are the pictures of the box, plug and location in the trunk.

GKC

Hello all,
I was wondering if someone here could get me a measurement
ride hight.
Say the first cross member in front of the rear wheels and first cross member behind the front wheels.
Can be from a 57 on springs and or air.
Thanks in advance. Grant

David King (kz78hy)

Grant,

The specs are shown on pages 4-24 and 4-25 of the Brougham service manual.  The dimensions are listed and it explains were to take the measurement.

Regards
David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

GKC

Thanks so much
I will check that out.
New air springs are working out fine.
when i figure out the ride hight I will be replaceing the wood spacer with solid aluminum.

GKC

Following pic

GKC

I checked my book.
Those pages arent there.
I would really appriciate getting a set of the omitted pages of my book.
all i could find out by looking into the wireing it says it will throw a light if the psi drops below 125 but i still cant find the normal operating pressure of the system.
have figured out the front inner fender wells and will be cleaning and repainting them before re assembly.
attach the wireing harness and im finally ready to fire it up from inside , put it in gear and check the tranz operation.
Master cylinder i have had been disassembled prior to me getting it and im missing the main piston so a simple rebuild wont work.
the owner is pulling a spare thats complete ,rebuilding it and sending it to me.
I do however have the e brake to check the tranz for operation before i reassemble the front. Pulling the engine and tranz would be much less trouble with the front clip out of the way.

Roger Zimmermann

I assume that you don't have the right manual or it was "modified". I'm attaching the pages.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

GKC

Thank you SO much for these pages!
Thats a tremendous help!
I will be posting this modification as a complete "kit" to whoever might have a car with springs but would like to go back to air ride without the cost or the trouble of the orig. Troublesome air springs.
I am also going to include an new style compresser and hide it near the tank so that the old system still looks in tact.
thanks again for your help! 

Roger Zimmermann

You are welcome!
Obviously you don't have the manual specific for the Brougham. David offered you one; I have myself a copy I could sell. If the owner of that car has a second Brougham, I don't understand why he does not have this manual!
My car #230 is still with the original air suspension. I have spare diaphragms, but the next owner may want to convert it to something more recent and reliable. Therefore I'm interested to see the kit you organized.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

I ran this play once and have the "new" springs on the shelf.  Something to deal with is getting the FULL travel of the rear suspension.  if you don't, either you can not load a tire as the suspension does not come down low enough, or the car does not have enough jounce and will be to high.

This is something to solve and I hope you do.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

GKC

Hello again everyone,
I have some updates for you that are interested and also a few questions for you more experienced guys than me ( meaning all of you!!!) lol
I’m in the process of getting the front clip ready for paint. I’m doing so I found what I think are oddities that I’m hoping some of you can shed some light on.
I am D A zing all the smoother larger areas but I’m sand blasting the front around the bezels for headlights, on top where the vent trim goes down into the fender and around the round smaller bezels under the headlight. I’m also blasting it wher the trim goes down the side of the fender and continues onto the doors,,, with that , I found these fenders are made from 2 halves
An upper and lower
Welded at the seam where the trim goes,....
is this normal?
We’re the production cars fenders made from 2 pieces or were they stamped from 1 piece?
Also, this one has the middle front( in between the fenders and between the hood opening and where the bumper starts)
This seems “more “ normal but just wondering
They bolt together, not welded, then the crack was leaded shut.
Also have been working on the suspension and even though I have a drawn diagram,.... it doesn’t show me which lines go in each connection on the leveling valves , of course there is a high pressure, a exhaust and one goes to the air spring but the valves are in a bit different configuration on this car that what it shows in my book.
Thanks in advance, I’ll be looking forward to your input. I was able to solve the problem with 2 things in particular
1 is I was able to build a down rod spacer so to speak for the full suspension travel in the rear and also a way to deliver only what the rear air springs require while still delivering the higher pressure to all the rest of the stock system.
Once I double check the air line configuration I will be putting air to the entire system and checking the functionality of the leveling valves and checking for any leaks.
Thanks again for your patience and support!!!
GKC

GKC

BTW 
Your correct!,...  Even though he found a service guide its not specific to this car,... in Fact,...  There are only references to the 58 configuration with the pulley driven pump though the rear of the P S pump.
Id be more than happy to buy an original copy or a copy of an orig,... Just by the photo you posted about the ride height,... that showed me enough to see what I had to connect where on the front airlines,... I was just trying to figure this out yesterday!  Since this car had been taken apart years ago,... They hadn't had the air tank in the car,... therefore I see where someone at sometime tried to use the T fitting that goes from the left front leveling valve as a service port.
It had a line in and out but the t port( that I now see goes to the main leveling valve had a shraider valve screwed into it.
They must have been trying to deliver air to the system without the tank thru that T.
This morning I will be hooking that T into my new air springs via the braided lines I attached out of the air springs If I'm correct, that line should come out of the leveling valve on top to the T then to both front air springs.
I still don't have a picture of which connections are where on the rear valves, Hi pressure, exhaust and air spring. When I hook all this up correctly for a test I WILL be using the air tank,... Just piped in sitting on the floor in front of the car. I am trying to make sure I have the air ride componets hooked up and operating correctly before I re install the front  "inner front clip," IE the radiator support, inner fender wells , ETC. I had removed that structure to more easily replace the water pump. once back in place it makes it 10 times harder to get to the air ride lines and componets.

Roger Zimmermann

Yes, the front fenders are made with 2 parts. Don't forget that it was a small serie and it was probably more economical to do it that way. The front panel is indeed attached to the fenders like you are showing.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101