News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone have photos of these 1959 Cadillac colors?

Started by lorenzo2013, July 30, 2017, 12:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo2013

Hi
Trying to decide on a color for a 1959 Cadillac restoration.  Originally black, but going through a full restoration, and I think I can live with myself painting it a different color (it has been stripped down 100%, to the shell, so the paint job will be legitimate).

The idea is for it to be red, with an off-white roof.

Just seeing if anyone has any photos of 59 cadillacs in Seminola red, Kiowa red, rameses red, so I can visualize what it would possibly look like

Thanks in advance!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Best to stay with an original 1959 Cadillac color which in this case would be Seminole Red then there will be less questions.

If an online search doesn't reveal the other reds you're asking about, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea were you're going to find someone who has a '59 Cadillac in those exact two red colors out of thousands.

No shortage of Seminole Red images online.

Not to presume, my opinion is that the original color scheme as indicated on the data plate should be adhered to which in this case sounds pretty good to me to begin with -  plus there will be no excuses.  Good luck.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Kiowa Red is the 57 Cadillac interior red trim color. The 57 Cadillac exterior was Dakota Red. Seminole is "hotter" or more orange than Dakota.

I don't recall Rameses being a Cadillac name.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

lorenzo2013

Was going based on this 59 code sheet:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?model=Cadillac&year=1959&con=oy

I realize now that the only exterior was the Seminole Red, and the rest are interior colors.

lorenzo2013

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 30, 2017, 12:43:55 PM
Best to stay with an original 1959 Cadillac color which in this case would be Seminole Red then there will be less questions.

If an online search doesn't reveal the other reds you're asking about, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea were you're going to find someone who has a '59 Cadillac in those exact two red colors out of thousands.

No shortage of Seminole Red images online.

Not to presume, my opinion is that the original color scheme as indicated on the data plate should be adhered to which in this case sounds pretty good to me to begin with -  plus there will be no excuses.  Good luck.

Would definitely stick with an original 59 color.  Seminole Red appears to be the one, the others I was looking at are interior colors.

I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible - in fact cosmetically there will be no way to identify some of the 'upgrades' i'm making.  All upgrades and changes are purely for the sake of safety.  Things like adding relays for the high and low beams instead of running them through the headlight switch, switching out the master cylinder for a dual piston instead of single piston. 

The color is something I've struggled with.  As much as I want to keep it the original, and as good as a black car looks when done right (I've owned half a dozen or more black cars in my life, including one classic black Cadillac), I want the car to look perfect, and unless I build a show car, I don't think the effect will be the same - there's nothing better looking than a clean black car, but black also shows every imperfection.  I'm building this car to be able to enjoy - take to local car meets, etc. and I feel that red better personifies these cars than black. 

59-in-pieces

lorenzo2013,
If you like it, do it.
Don't be put off by, RED is a resale color.
From personal experience, SEMINOLE RED is the best red- even if it is on an Eldorado Biarritz.....
It makes fire trucks back into their fire house in shame, when I drive by.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Quote from: lorenzo2013 on July 31, 2017, 01:20:46 PM
Would definitely stick with an original 59 color.  Seminole Red appears to be the one, the others I was looking at are interior colors.

I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible - in fact cosmetically there will be no way to identify some of the 'upgrades' i'm making.  All upgrades and changes are purely for the sake of safety.  Things like adding relays for the high and low beams instead of running them through the headlight switch, switching out the master cylinder for a dual piston instead of single piston. 

The color is something I've struggled with.  As much as I want to keep it the original, and as good as a black car looks when done right (I've owned half a dozen or more black cars in my life, including one classic black Cadillac), I want the car to look perfect, and unless I build a show car, I don't think the effect will be the same - there's nothing better looking than a clean black car, but black also shows every imperfection.  I'm building this car to be able to enjoy - take to local car meets, etc. and I feel that red better personifies these cars than black.

Fair enough and it sounds like you'll be going in with eyes wide open so that's the main thing.

But boy oh boy - to walk away from black/red in a '59 Cadillac convertible - especially when backed up by the data plate - that's a test of character if ever there was one!  ;D   

lorenzo2013

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on July 31, 2017, 03:58:33 PM
Fair enough and it sounds like you'll be going in with eyes wide open so that's the main thing.

But boy oh boy - to walk away from black/red in a '59 Cadillac convertible - especially when backed up by the data plate - that's a test of character if ever there was one!  ;D

Mine's not a convertible - it's a coupe deville, and no red interior

I would be more convinced to keep it 110% original if it was a convertible.  :)

Don't get me wrong, I think black cars are hands down the best looking.  But they're so hard to keep looking good.  some dust, a few smudges, and (god forbid) a small rock chip in the front due to driving it on Texas roads, it's hard to keep looking as good. 

On the flip side however, touch up dabs are the least detectable with black than any other color. Many times I'd be hard pressed to find stone chips I've touched up myself. And black is pretty much universal - color matching is never a problem. Just some food for thought.

Incidentally, my first '59 Cadillac was a CdV - black with b&w interior - my all time favorite color combo in a closed Cadillac of this era.  The looks that car got... 8)

Jeff Wilk

Interesting comment below about how a change in color of the interior or exterior could be spotted by checking the Data Plate on the cars cowl. I guess the same could be true for added options during a restoration too. Reason I say this is interesting as Ive started to hear about some new vendors (I think in a recent AACA post) selling "NEW" Data Plates that you can order for many Makes/Models with your CURRENT colors and options stamped in just as original.   I dont know if I agree with doing this if the idea is to remain truly as original since the car will not match its build sheet and is no longer as it left the factory. I know that's a hard line approach but where do you draw the line? Does it matter if authentic colors and OEM options were used "as original"?

What do ya"ll think? 

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

lorenzo2013

Interesting post Jeff.  What I'm doing a true collector would cringe at, but by the same token I am doing my best to keep the car 'original' looking.  No air suspension, wire rims, crazy paint job, steering wheel, etc.

There are quite a few of us that have added/changed options on these cars (at least to my knowledge) - added fog lights, power vent windows, added AC, air ride, and so forth, even the tail light "V"s off the Eldorados that so many like.  While it's true, adding these options would result in a mismatch of the 'factory options' on the data plate, as long as it's still true to the '59 Cadillac colors/options/trim, then it doesn't hurt my feelings.  I may not win any national shows, but i'll still have an authentic 59 Cadillac (albeit with two or three options more than it came with)

Now with that said, I would never paint the car a "non-factory" color.

(P.S. - I'm adding fog lights on my car too)

Jeff Wilk

Got it, and fully understand AND have no issues with any if it as it is your/iur own car to do with as we all want to. I also added fog lights to my 59 Fleetwood as it was the only missing factory option.

My question is really about leveraging these vendors selling replacement factory Data Plates to make upgrades and color changes appear original to the car. Thats whats got me wondering about how that should be viewed.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

With a few exceptions, most optional equipment could have been dealer installed - including air conditioning. Price was the same as if ordered and installed at the factory.

59-in-pieces

Pulpit time.
I am a purist - as most know - OEM or bust (which is impossible to accomplish - but boy do I try, right down to the proper bots).
BUT NOT A HOLIER THAN THOU SNOB - as I don't go to meets or shows or ever compete for point or seek admiration or awards - no recognition of any kind.
My goal is to enjoy what I do and what I have accomplished, and not worry about what the other guy thinks.
"To thine own self be true."

I agree that if any one wants to upgrade their car with changes for added safety - no harm no foul.
The same goes for changing interior and exterior colors, or adding other accessories and options that were available at the time.
Hell, I'm one of the big "back sliders" here - since one of my Eldos is painted SEMINOLE RED - not an Eldo Color, OH! and another is painted GOTHAM GOLD - also not an Eldo Color - why because I like the colors.

Now let me speak plain - the phony data plates are just that, and a CHEAT.
If the goal is to maybe trick someone into thinking the car is worth more because it matches the Data Plate, that's fraud.

Time to step down,
have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

lorenzo2013

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on August 01, 2017, 01:40:11 PM
Pulpit time.
I am a purist - as most know - OEM or bust (which is impossible to accomplish - but boy do I try, right down to the proper bots).
BUT NOT A HOLIER THAN THOU SNOB - as I don't go to meets or shows or ever compete for point or seek admiration or awards - no recognition of any kind.
My goal is to enjoy what I do and what I have accomplished, and not worry about what the other guy thinks.
"To thine own self be true."

I agree that if any one wants to upgrade their car with changes for added safety - no harm no foul.
The same goes for changing interior and exterior colors, or adding other accessories and options that were available at the time.
Hell, I'm one of the big "back sliders" here - since one of my Eldos is painted SEMINOLE RED - not an Eldo Color, OH! and another is painted GOTHAM GOLD - also not an Eldo Color - why because I like the colors.

Now let me speak plain - the phony data plates are just that, and a CHEAT.
If the goal is to maybe trick someone into thinking the car is worth more because it matches the Data Plate, that's fraud.

Time to step down,
have fun,
Steve B.
No, I agree - i'm all for making a car "your own", but changing the data plates seems to accomplish nothing other than tricking someone

lorenzo2013

Looking for any advice on the color for the roof - I want it to be white, preferably to match the white of the white-wall tires.

I believe most of the time the roofs are painted "off white", but open to any suggestions in terms of paint codes, etc.

59-in-pieces

lorenzo2013,
If you want to stay in the 59 Cadillac palette , there are 2 choices:

Dover White - Code 12 - Standard Color   or
Olympic White - Code 90 - Eldo Color

Olympic White is white white (new WWWs), while Dover White is a bit toned down with a little grey - to my eyes (which are not new).

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

D.Smith

Red just seems to be every where.

Stay with the black and you'll stand out from the crowd. 

Maybe go with a white top on the black?

As for keeping a black car clean?   When I realized I was washing my new cars often in every other color, I figured I might as well get a black daily driver.  Pride of ownership keeps cars clean, not color selection.

As for classic cars?  I think we should keep them the color as built.   Otherwise it just muddles their history.
As for fake body tags?  Those should be illegal.

theovankouwen

Hello,

I'm the happy owner of a'59 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz, i'm doing a complete body-off restauration, making it better then new!

The current color is white, but original Black (10), trim is 19B, Red with bucket seats, and the top is original Bronze (3B). (now white).

Now the question: does anybody know where i can find a sample of the Top color Bronze, 3B?

Yours,

Theo
Amsterdam, Holland.