News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 cadillac sedan de ville power antenna

Started by caddymanmarc, August 05, 2017, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddymanmarc

hello,
i have a 76 deville with power antenna issues. i have put 2 power antennas in this caddy and both times the motors have burnt up. both antennas when installed worked about a month. both decided at one time to quit working in the up position. both times i unplugged and plugged the antennas back in, but know such luck. not thinking and being at a car show, i should have let the second one stay unplugged. anyways, after a while, smoke starts to billow from under the right side fender, and low and behold, the outer black casing is melting on the top front side of the motor housing. i then unplug the antenna and wonder if its the antennas fault, the switch, or the radio or wiring? the second antenna came back from cadillac tim with a clean bill of health, so i tend to believe its something else. what say you?? thanks for any help and suggestions. >:(

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sounds like the motor is still trying to operate, even after the mast has been retracted.

Could be a faulty switch, but I am not sure if there is a circuit breaker within the system.

Hopefully, one of the electrical experts will come online and assist.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

caddymanmarc

if the motor is still running( i haven't heard it each time), why wouldn't it blow a fuse or circuit breaker? it literally is on fire! scary!

The Tassie Devil(le)

That is where you need the Shop Manual.

I know in the case of my '60, which I realise is totally different to the '76, the aerial was manually raised and lowered by turning a knob in the radio.

If yours is like the later vehicles when the aerial is automatically operated by turning the radio on, or off, then it is within the radio electrics.

Has your car been messed with by a past owner?

PS.   One of the troubles with asking questions when a GN is running, a lot of the responders will be out enjoying all the events, and ogling the vehicles, and not sitting by their computers, which I don't blame them.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

There must be a limit switch somewhere in the system. The manual will show you. I would think it  is either limited by the antenna position or a timer feature in the radio.
I would confirm you have the correct antenna for not only your year but your radio as the limiting mechanism may be different.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

caddymanmarc

when the radio is turned on, the antenna goes up about halfway, then you engage the dash switch to raise it completely. when you turn the radio off, the antenna lowers about halfway, then you engage the dash switch to lower completely. both antennas did this. when they stopped working, they where both completely raised and would not lower with the radio turned off or with the switch. then after a while, smoke. the wiring under the dash and hood looks to be original.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha.... sounds like there is the problem.   I thought that the aerial should lower completely when the radio is turned off, and raise completely when turned on.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Glen

It is apparent there is power applied to the antenna for too long.  There should be a fuse or circuit breaker to prevent burning up the motor.   I had a friend that had a Chrysler with I believe to be the same antenna and his was blowing a fuse.  It turns out the plastic gears were melted and the motor would not turn.  The antenna was trying to go down (the radio was off) but could not.  The current draw blows the fuse. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Phil Weber

When the radio is turned off the antenna should lower all the way not just to halfway.

Phil

cadillactim

Marc

May have antenna relay or dash switch issue.

You can call me if you want.

Tim
Tim Groves

Glen

I just read in the Cadillac Serviceman (1973 I think) to make the antenna go all the way down when the radio is turned off the switch on the dash must be latched in the UP position.  If it is in the center position the antenna will go part way up when the radio is turned on and part way down when the radio is turned off.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

V63

I have been 'adapting' modern (new) $70 automatic antennas to my Cadillacs. The trick is to use the (fender) factory escustions 

One added touch is to use original finial too. 

They have automatic and simi automatic versions.

I installed one on a 1958 utilizing the original radio knob controls.

Let's just say, There is some 'creative engineering' to accomplish. 

caddymanmarc

i have since check the relay under the dash and it appears to be functioning correctly. the antenna is still smoking when i plug it into the harness. i' left with the switch and radio as culprits or maybe something else? still very concerned about fire. any suggestions?

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

caddymanmarc

so there is a limit switch in the antenna itself is how i'm reading it. so my antennas limit switch is/was bad in both antennas? or the radio is keeping the green wire energized and thus overheating the motor? possibly? or the radio is keeping the red wire energized causing the overheating?  how do you check these things out? i'm a novice here trying to save a buck by doing this myself, but if it's over my head, i will take it to a pro.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Does the manual go into detail on testing it?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373

Phil Weber

The switches are not serviced separately . They come with cap .

Glen

The attachment below is from 1973 but I think the antenna is the same. 
HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104