News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado tires

Started by jbomd, August 07, 2017, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbomd

At the GN deductions were taken, at least on 76 Eldorados, for having repro tires and my understanding was that this applied only if the repro tire was manufactured by a manufacturer who did not provide the tire in 1976.  Based upon my prior research I don't think any major tire manufacturer produces a tire in correct size and whitewall pattern.  Does anybody know if there currently are OEM tires available for 76 vehicles?   Does anybody know a way we can get one produced as the judge mentioned it may be possible.
joconnell

76eldo

What tires are on your car?
So any 235/15 with a 1.6 whitewall isn't an acceptable tire?
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

EAM 17806

You can get very good quality tires 235X75X15 with 1.6" whitewall radials American Classic from Universal Vintage Tire Co for a reasonable price of $165.00; 1-877-454-3954.  You will be quite satisfied!  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

jbomd

Brian:

My tires are 235/75/15 DiamondBack II with 1 5/8' whitewall.  They cost me $239.00 per tire.  They are made by Toyo.     I think the point the judge was trying to make was that because the cars didn't come with Toyo tires originally then a 3 point deduction was required despite having the correct size and whitewall pattern.   I honestly don't think there's even a visible Toyo name on the outside of the tire. 

My response to the judge was that the original equipment manufacturer doesn't offer that size and whitewall pattern any more so I had no choice.  The answer was that a deduction was going to be applied universally to all the cars they were judging and that the Chief Judge might waive that after the judging.   I spoke to the Chief Judge at around 5:00 PM and it was news to him!   

I don't think we want our members driving around on 41 year old tires and I also think the situation is a little analogous to the battery issue.  Since there are no repro Delco Freedom batteries available, any correctly sized, side terminal battery with a Delco label is acceptable so why wouldn't the rule work the same way for the tires?

Joe
joconnell

jbomd

Here is a photo of the original Uniroyal tire that came on my 76 Eldo.

Joe
joconnell

jbomd

Here is the Diamondback tire
joconnell

76eldo

I think that was an incorrect decision by the judges.
If it's a correct style and whitewall width it should be acceptable.
Are we supposed to have a time machine and go back in time and buy some Uniroyals?
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

D.Smith

Quote from: jbomd on August 08, 2017, 09:57:11 PM
Brian:

I don't think we want our members driving around on 41 year old tires and I also think the situation is a little analogous to the battery issue.  Since there are no repro Delco Freedom batteries available, any correctly sized, side terminal battery with a Delco label is acceptable so why wouldn't the rule work the same way for the tires?

Joe

The light Blue 76 Coupe Deville at the event had 41 year old tires on it.   Even though it was a very low mileage car it was unwise to drive the car there.    The owner was lucky only one tire failed on the way.   It could have done body damage to the rear quarter or worse caused an accident.

D.Smith

Quote from: 76eldo on August 09, 2017, 01:35:59 AM
I think that was an incorrect decision by the judges.
If it's a correct style and whitewall width it should be acceptable.
Are we supposed to have a time machine and go back in time and buy some Uniroyals?

Agreed.   I think tires as long as the whitewall size was available when new should not be a deduction if on a modern tire.

Tire points should only come into play if two cars have the same score and one has original and the other repops.   
So as a tie breaker.   Providing no other deductions can be found.    But if nobody has original tires then it shouldn't be an issue if everyone gets a point off or no points off.