News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1976 Eldorado neutral safety switch

Started by 7gen, August 08, 2017, 08:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

I'm having a hard time figuring something out with the NSS and the emergency brake.

The emergency brake was not releasing when shifting to R or D so I found a vacuum leak upstream of the NSS and fixed it. The automatic release worked worked fine 6 tries, then no longer worked. Does this indicate a new NSS is needed? Or perhaps the vacuum parts need to be cleaned?

This is the first time since I've had the car that I've tried the e-brake and I'm wondering if maybe fixing the vacuum leak dislodged something that had been lurking for the past 41 years or something.

TJ Hopland

The switch is made up of a cast part that clamps around the steering column and then the electrical/vacuum part is plastic and held to the cast part by small tabs in the casting.    Over time the plastic seems to work loose from the cast part.  The tabs are too flimsy to bend back so you either have to find a replacement or find a way to hold the parts together.  Sometimes you can drill some holes in the casting and use zip ties to hold it all together.  Other times you have to get more creative. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

7gen

So it would not be a good idea to get a used part, I guess? I'll look for a new part. Thanks!!