News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac ATS-L in China

Started by jdemerson, August 13, 2017, 05:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdemerson

My son is working for a month in Beijing. Over the weekend he visited a Cadillac dealership there and took some photos and picked up a few brochures. One model on the floor is a new ATS-L. It has a wheelbase 3.3 inches longer than our model, up to about 112.6".  The starting price, converted to U.S. dollars is $43,600 and it is built n Shanghai. I believe it came out last October.

The ATS is generally regarded as an excellent world-class model, and the limited back seat space is the most common criticism. Of course the CTS is a fine car, but its price is pretty high.

I know that these models are not of much interest on this Forum, but given the direct information I thought I'd share it.

I am off to the Stowe Classic Car Show -- the 60th -- in a a few minutes and will be judging 40s and 50s non-Ford, non-Chev models. Fun!

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: jdemerson on August 13, 2017, 05:37:00 AM
My son is working for a month in Beijing. Over the weekend he visited a Cadillac dealership there and took some photos and picked up a few brochures. One model on the floor is a new ATS-L. It has a wheelbase 3.3 inches longer than our model, up to about 112.6".  The starting price, converted to U.S. dollars is $43,600 and it is built n Shanghai. I believe it came out last October.
The ATS-L has been offered in China for about three years now. 

The ATS is generally regarded as an excellent world-class model, and the limited back seat space is the most common criticism. Of course the CTS is a fine car, but its price is pretty high.
I think it's too bad Cadillacs can’t command higher starting prices but the market has changed with Cadillac and luxury competition having lowered prices over the years.  20 years ago, even the new entry Cadillac Catera had an inflation adjusted starting price equal to the 2017 CTS.  The DeVille, with sales of around 100K in the US, had an inflation adjusted starting price thousands of dollars higher than the ATS, XT5, CTS, XTS.......even the CT6.

At this point, Cadillac is planning to discontinue the ATS, CTS and XTS in a few years anyway.   They are expected to be replaced by the CT5 around 2020, and another vehicle (CT3?) shortly after to compete with cars like the Audi A3.

Rich S

I know that these models are not of much interest on this Forum, but given the direct information I thought I'd share it.

John Emerson

John, I like "all things Cadillac!" Although I am especially partial to the vintage Cadillacs, I am still interested in their newest offerings. Thanks for the info! However, I am disappointed that Cadillac is choosing not to incorporate more of their "heritage" design and feature elements into at least one new model. It looks as if I'll be keeping my '13 CTS Coupe for a while, unless they change things. I'm glad they're reducing the number of Sedans since I find them too closely resembling each other. Regrettably, the XTS was supposed to only be a "placeholder" until the CT6 arrived, and I find its dimensions too awkward, and although somewhat traditional, it does not interest me.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

jdemerson

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on August 13, 2017, 09:21:24 AM
The ATS-L has been offered in China for about three years now. 

I think it's too bad Cadillacs can’t command higher starting prices but the market has changed with Cadillac and luxury competition having lowered prices over the years.  20 years ago, even the new entry Cadillac Catera had an inflation adjusted starting price equal to the 2017 CTS.  The DeVille, with sales of around 100K in the US, had an inflation adjusted starting price thousands of dollars higher than the ATS, XT5, CTS, XTS.......even the CT6.

At this point, Cadillac is planning to discontinue the ATS, CTS and XTS in a few years anyway.   They are expected to be replaced by the CT5 around 2020, and another vehicle (CT3?) shortly after to compete with cars like the Audi A3.

Mr. Langley,

Thanks for correction to the date for ATS-L; it was definitely earlier than last October. According to both Reuters and Detroit news, the production of Cadillac in Shanghai began in January 2016. So that would make the Chinese version ATS-L date back a year and a half. (It was ANNOUNCED much earlier than that, though.) I don't think an earlier ATS-L was ever produced in the U.S.; am I wrong about that?

It's an interesting model because, in my view, an ATS with 3 inches longer wheelbase would make it the ideal competitor to 3-Series, C-Class, and A4 -- and it is already being made!

The background about Cadillac in China is fascinating because they have really taken off there, and Johan de Nysschen has visited China at least a couple of times since becoming president. This year Cadillac sales in China are running about neck-and-neck with the U.S. Mr. De Nysschen is trying to make Cadillac a world brand luxury car again.

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: jdemerson on August 14, 2017, 07:07:37 AM
Thanks for correction to the date for ATS-L; it was definitely earlier than last October. According to both Reuters and Detroit news, the production of Cadillac in Shanghai began in January 2016. So that would make the Chinese version ATS-L date back a year and a half. (It was ANNOUNCED much earlier than that, though.) I don't think an earlier ATS-L was ever produced in the U.S.; am I wrong about that?
It was announced in mid-2014 that the ATS-L would launch in August of that year.  I believe first reported sales for that model in China were October 2014.

It's an interesting model because, in my view, an ATS with 3 inches longer wheelbase would make it the ideal competitor to 3-Series, C-Class, and A4 -- and it is already being made!
I think more rear leg room may have helped but when the regular ATS first came out, it actually had slightly more rear leg room than the Mercedes-Benz C-Class (33.5" vs 33.4").  However, the redesigned 2015 C-Class improved to 35.2".  I'm not sure why Cadillac decided not to offer the ATS-L here but different markets/countries sometimes get different models from the same brand e.g., Buick sells a mini-van in China not offered here.

The background about Cadillac in China is fascinating because they have really taken off there, and Johan de Nysschen has visited China at least a couple of times since becoming president. This year Cadillac sales in China are running about neck-and-neck with the U.S. Mr. De Nysschen is trying to make Cadillac a world brand luxury car again.
Total Cadillac sales in China so far this year, through July, are exceeding US sales by 11%.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on August 14, 2017, 09:14:11 AM
I'm not sure why Cadillac decided not to offer the ATS-L here but different markets/countries sometimes get different models from the same brand e.g., Buick sells a mini-van in China not offered here.....
Might have something to do with something as simple as not being totally compliant with US Regulations?

I know that a lot of stuff coming into Australia is being rejected because of Asbestos contamination.

But, one mustn't forget that getting vehicles into USA, even from outside GM Factories is not as easy as one would thing.   Holden had a wonderful product here, but weren't allowed to export to USA, and even when it managed to, the vehicles weren't marketed correctly, and bombed.

And now, Holden, Ford, and Toyota have ceased production in Australia.   We have to buy imported junk.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon