News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

To whoever did this, THANK YOU!

Started by Jeff Hansen, August 14, 2017, 09:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hansen

During the day on Saturday at the Grand National, someone left a March 1982 issue of The Self-Starter under the windshield wiper of my 1941 Sixty Special.  I have no idea who did it, but whoever you are, thank you very much for doing so!  It is a very good read!

Thanks!
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

Jack McClow CLC #15840

Jeff, this is very interesting:  in our car, a 1962 convertible, we also found a copy of a CLC newsletter; ours was the 1982 November/December issue featuring, on the front cover, a 1962 Cadillac convertible.   Obviously some generous soul decided this would be the perfect issue for us to have and that could not have been more true.  The featured car in that issue  was owned at the time by John L. Gaylord of Detroit, Michigan.   In the story he mentions purchasing the car four years earlier from the original owner,  a lady who lived in his apartment building, at which time the car had 38,200 miles.    Mr. Gaylord mentions  driving the car to Newport, Rhode Island that summer for the CLC's third ever Grand National.  Like you, I have found this 35 year old issue of our monthly publication totally fascinating,  and I have read it from cover to cover.   Among other interesting items is the annual financial report by Ansell Sackett who was the  original Treasurer for the club, and who was still handling the finances after 24 years.   I was also able to find a few names in the issue of people who are still active in the club today; another very fascinating aspect of reading through this old issue of our magazine.   I wonder how many other folks with cars in the showfield in McLean received these wonderful gifts?   Like you, my thanks go out to whoever left behind this much appreciated piece of club history.   And one more thing, I wonder if there's anyway of knowing where the featured 1962 Cadillac convertible is today, and if Mr. Gaylord might still be the proud owner as he states he was back in 1982.

Paul Tesone

Also found articles on my windshield - about my 47 convertible  . Thanks to the mystery Santa ! Paul tesone CLC # 6876 .

Glen

Mr. Gaylord of Detroit MI and his 1962 6267 CCP are listed in the 2005 club directory but not in the 2007 (can’t find my 2006 directory). 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jay Friedman

I'm pretty sure that was done by my friend Terry Bird of Decatur GA.  He was selling literature at the indoor flea market and distributed SS issues that didn't sell on cars about which articles appeared in old issues of the SS.  I know he gave me articles on '49s.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

William Aprile

HE also did for my 1937 lasalle ,great gift that was treasured thank you

Bill Young

As an aside , does the Club have all the Self Starters back to day one on a disk or something. I ask because I first joined the Club in about 1972 and the Self Starter was loose leaf stapled in the upper corner with a colored paper cover with all black and white photos. I left the Club a few years later because at that time they did not recognise any Cadillac's after 1946. My Primary interests were the 50's up. I gave my pile of them away a few years ago when moving from place to place became too cumbersome. I remember one article where the guy had bought a mid 30's Cadillac 2 door convertible and towed it home using a 1954 Eldorado Convertible as a tow car. The tow car was of the most interest to me.

Art Director

As an aside , does the Club have all the Self Starters back to day one on a disk or something.

Sorry, we don't. It would be a huge project for someone to sit at a scanner day after day, scan each page and arrange them correctly in a PDF. When I retire and it's still not done, I'll probably volunteer for that project as long as someone can send me all the issues to scan.

We do have all issues from January 2004 on the CLC website, available to First Class and Life Members to read.

Tim
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold