News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

429 ignition upgrade

Started by krops cars, August 16, 2017, 09:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krops cars

Does any one offer an electronic distributor like MSD for these engines? I do not care for Pertronics.

russ austin

R.Austin

Chuck Swanson

Yep, been using for years on all my cars. Have on my '65 Eldo-installed 4,000 miles ago. 

https://www.lectriclimited.com/breakerless-se-electronic-ignition-conversion-85197

Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Dan LeBlanc

Chuck. That kit looks interesting. Did you have to bypass your resistor wire going to the coil?  Any difference in performance versus points?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chuck Swanson

Dan, used the stock wire:
https://www.lectriclimited.com/conversions-modifications/

"FEATURES:
* Single-Wire Operation: This is the ONLY single-wire module available on the market. Which means to function, you only need to connect 1 wire to the module (your existing black wire leading from the distributor to the ignition coil). This not only simplifies installation, but preserves the stock appearance of the factory wiring. All of the "other systems" require 2 or 3 wires to operate, resulting in a much more complex installation, cutting into your wiring harness, and a non-original appearance.

* Easy Installation: The entire system can be installed in about 15-20 minutes. You do NOT need to remove your distributor from your vehicle to install this kit. "
Didn't see performance increase, but now I don't have to worry about adjusting the points/dwell meter, etc... so eliminates that as a variable in case you had them adjusted incorrectly.  After one time of having corrosion on the points, I switch over all my cars and never looked back :)
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

DadIllac

Heya, I am looking for the same thing, and did use Search, but the links here are now broken. Anyone know of a good place to find a kit for Electronic Ignition upgrade?

35-709

I have used Pertronix in several vehicles and have found them to be reliable.  You can buy it direct from Pertronix or just about all of the aftermarket companies sell Pertronix ignition, Jegs, Summit, Yogi's, even Amazon, NAPA can doubt order it for you also.

https://pertronix.com/electronic-ignition-conversions-test?year=1966&make=Cadillac&model=All&cylinder=8#auto 

I would go with the Ignitor II, model #91181.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: DadIllac on January 02, 2019, 12:11:33 PM
Heya, I am looking for the same thing, and did use Search, but the links here are now broken. Anyone know of a good place to find a kit for Electronic Ignition upgrade?

Looks like link updated recently.  I just edited above, but would use this vs Pertronix:

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

rajeevx7

I’m all for max electronics and digital everything. When I custom modded my ignition system, it was way more difficult than a one wire hookup. BUT, I also don’t have feet and feet of 50+yo 16ga wire to carry the 12v pulse.

Both ways will get the job done, and it may just be a personal choice. The factory wiring of these cars should be used as relay turn-ons wherever possible, imho!

TJ Hopland

A lot of their details and sales pitch is set up to bias things in their direction.   When they talk about how easy and clean their install is they are comparing it to an MSD6 type of setup, not the more popular systems like Pertronix or similar units.

Does the Pertronix for the GM's require to remove the dizzy?   I know some of theirs do and some don't, I have never done one of their GM v8 ones.   If it doesn't that is another non advantage off their list.

I did eventually find one of what could be an important questions about the resistor:
Do I need to remove the ballast resistor or resistance wire from my vehicle when installing the Breakerless-SEâ,,¢? Because the Breakerless-SE was designed for original or restored-to-original vehicles, you MUST use a ballast resistor (if your vehicle was originally equipped with one), or resistance wire (if your vehicle originally has this wire built into your dash harness or engine harness). Do NOT remove your ballast resistor, or remove the resistance wire. This will eventually damage the Breakerless-SEâ,,¢ module and void your warranty.

The MSD box they show in their 'other guys yuch' picture is another option especially if you don't mind the look and some more gains.   An advantage of the MSD6 type of box is it uses the stock points and condenser so if you set up the proper connectors or switch you can easily go back to 99% stock with no tools if something went wrong with the electronics.  Can't do that with most of the other options.   The other bonus is you get the capactive discharge and multispark which can actually help idle and off the line performance.  It still uses the points but its just using them for a signal so you don't get the arching or wear that you get with a conventional setup so in theory they will physically wear eventually rather than being burned away like normal. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

If you are sorta cheap and sorta diy there are things like this.    Says you can modify them for 6v too as long as its NEG ground.    I think they also have resellers around the world so may be easier for people outside the USA.   I have never used this kit but their stuff that I have used has been decent.    THere are also ways to modify a Chrysler module to work with points as well as a few components to make a HEI module work.    The Velleman kit appears to be in the $25-30 range in the USA so pretty cheap if you just kinda want to try something different.   Just like the MSD box I mentioned above it uses the points as a trigger, not full load so they should last a long time.     

https://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?id=350487

bcroe

It is relatively simple to build a transistor amplified ignition that will
retain, but take the strain and wear off, your points, I put one in service
in 1964 with good results.  Probably that is the Velleman.  But they will
not have the long list of advantages of an HEI, such as higher efficiency,
higher spark energy, tolerance of moisture, elimination of
points oxidation, single unit design, and more. 
Bruce Roe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Chuck Swanson on January 02, 2019, 04:03:55 PM
Looks like link updated recently.  I just edited above, but would use this vs Pertronix:
Strange...When I'm searching for that Breakerless system, I don't find it in their catalog! Or is that no more available?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Roger Zimmermann

Yes I see it, but I cannot even see it in their catalog to order it! This is the worse site I ever try to order something. If there site is a bad as the parts they sell, good night!
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chuck Swanson

Wow, yes, you are right. I don't see on their site an easy way to order anymore.  Agree on your website comments.  They are the manufacturer, so maybe they decided to do dealer only. 

Call them Toll Free: 866-624-1850 or buy from the many dealers:

https://www.americanautowire.com/shop/breakerless-se-ignition-system/
https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/american-autowire/product-line/american-autowire-breakerless-se-ignition-systems?autoview=SKU&ibanner=SREPD5

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Fleetwood
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Roger Zimmermann

Chuck, thanks for the links! Indeed, I did not want to order a kit, I just wanted to see the price. The first link does not say if they have the kit on stock, but Summitracing say that the expected shipping date, if ordered today is in ...May 2019! 
This may explain why it cannot be ordered at lectriclimited.
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

spolij

What does electronic ignition do for you?

TJ Hopland

It really depends on what flavor you choose and why you are considering it in the first place.   

One reason someone may be looking for a change is its getting difficult to find good quality points and condensers.  Some of the electronics eliminate them completely and others minimize the wear on them so they last a lot longer. 

Just checked to see if this site is up and it still is.  I thought this guy had a good write up on ignition systems and theories in general and then some specific differences in some of the electronics that are out there.   He has a menu sort of thing on the left and there is a ignition section with sub sections.  There are home buttons at the bottom of each section.
http://www.gofastforless.com/