News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

346 water in the oil and cylinders??

Started by gary griffin, October 14, 2017, 12:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Due to the stripped helicoils I mentioned here in an earlier post I ended up with a little water in one of my cylinders. I pulled the heads and cleaned and lubricated the cylinders with oil soaked wipes. The engine ran after rebuild but has also sat a long time.  There was no water in the oil as far as I could tell. I have still replaced the oil to be sure.

Now it cranks but not fast enough to start or move the needle on the gauge. Starter rebuilt earlier by well known Seattle shop. I am afraid it is too dry now?

I am considering removing the spark plugs and squirting oil in to the cylinders and cranking it without spark plugs until gas gets into the fuel pump and carburetor and oil pressure shows up on the gauge. When it is cranking freely the oil pump would be most active. I see no pressure on the gauge at the slow cranking rate. 

Any opinions??

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I am not an engine expert by any means. However that is exactly what I would do. No compression so it should spin fast enough to get oil pressure up.
I did that a few times on the 331 and even got oil up around the valves.
I wouldn't spin the starter over 10 seconds without letting it cool down in between.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bobby B

Gary,
  If you're still wrestling with this, give me a call. You have my number....
                                                                                                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH