News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Coupe de Ville - Upholstery

Started by cappy102, October 15, 2017, 10:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cappy102

As I get nearer to refurbishing the cabin of this car, I have questions about the data plate information versus the actual upholstery materials and colors used.

First, The VIN is xxxx000966. The data plate reads: BODY No FW 242. I'm guessing '966' is a chassis number, and '242' is a body number(???). I'll save this for another post, I just wanted all you upholstery experts to know what the general period of production was.

The trim number is 42, and thanks to the excellent list posted elsewhere on this forum, I discovered that the code meant Medium Blue Leather with Medium Blue Sahara Cloth.

However, although the leather is medium blue, it definitely is metallic. I found the leather on a vendor's site, and it is available. As for the Sahara cloth, I haven't found a source yet that can provide me with photos, so I don't know if this is the same as the cloth listed. What I will say, is that it did not wear well, and I'm considering other options if/when re-upholstering makes it high enough on my list (the one that never ends).

Since this is a family car, I know there was no re-upholstering in its history. Whether this was the 966th car off the line, or the 242nd, it's still an early 57, so who knows what happened back in 1956, when the car was actually built?

And yes, I've ordered a 'build record' just to clarify. Hope to see that soon.

There is no doubt that one of you stitchers out there knows what's going on here.

Thanks!

Mark
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

Barry M Wheeler #2189

First, you should be able to clean the door panel where it is soiled. And as for your re-doing your front seat, you will probably have some slight difference in color from your original and the replacement cloth/leather.

I am wondering why you would think that what you have "in the car" is not Sahara Cloth? Won't SMS send you a small piece to confirm that you/they have the right cloth? However, if it had been "wrong," it would have never made it out of the factory. The last time I went through Clark Ave, we ended up on bleachers where all the cars from that day's production are parked. The "star" from that day was a chocolate brown Northstar equipped Seville absolutely covered with yellow chalk marks of all the errors that they found on it. A "mistake" of that proportion simply would not have been allowed.

And, since you "know" the car has not been re-upholstered, it simply looks too stock to think that you don't have the original in it. And, it appears that the back seat has worn extremely well. So I wouldn't worry about "wear." Good luck.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cappy102

Thanks for your comments, Barry...

As for the Sahara cloth, I assume the fabric is correct, I just don't know for certain. The leather, as I mentioned, is metallic medium blue, which is from a different trim number (the only med blue metallic is for trim #22, but there is no cloth on that one. The panels are pastel blue leather).

I'm not familiar with SMS, but I'll give that a try. Although this is not my first classic car, it is my first Cadillac, so I'm still gathering information.

The wear I mentioned is really just on the driver side (no surprise). Photo attached.

Soon, I will begin working on the interior. The carpets are faded, but not terribly worn, so I may attempt to dye these after they are cleaned. The headliner is absolutely perfect. The vinyl covering on the dash has lifted a bit on the pax side, but that should be a pretty easy repair. The seam on the driver seat back has opened, but I can easily stitch that closed and won't need to remove the cover (I often helped my wife in her sail loft, and have done plenty of sewing - both hand and machine) .

I'll post as I progress.

cappy102

Barry...Just checked with SMS...they have trim code 42 listed as "METALLIC BLUE".

The first information I got came from the trim code list published on this forum, so there might have been an error (there is a heck of a lot of data on that list).

Also, the cloth swatch that was shown on SMS's site for trim code 42, looks much different. I did request samples, and sent them photos of the upholstery as it is now. Hope to hear from them soon.

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Mark,

I created the list you're referring to and it should say "Metallic Blue". Sorry for the oversight.The leather color is the same as used in the Eldorado without the heavy Buffalo Grain. Yes your pic shows Sahara Cloth which may be difficult to locate.. You'll need to do some searching. If you use SMS be sure to document the specific details of the product, condition, and estimated delivery time as a purchase order to them. Also specify that the fabric must be continuous yardage without defective areas. The order should clearly state that noncompliance with the conditions is grounds to cancel the order and refund payment. 

HTh
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

cappy102

Thanks, Ralph...

Considering the amount of data in your list, a minor thing like this is insignificant. This list has been extremely valuable to me, and other club members, I'm sure. Thanks for your time and effort putting it all together.

The 'heads up' regarding ordering fabric is helpful.

The photo of the trim code 42 swatch on SMS' site looks different from the Sahara Cloth, but that could just be the picture quality. Anyway, the mystery of the metallic blue is solved.

At this point, I'm just going to give the interior a thorough cleaning, make a few repairs, and live with the worn driver seat for now.

I do have another thread going on the Restoration Corner regarding some of this upholstery business.

Just Got an email from SMS with photos of the actual fabrics...All is well. Once I get the swatches, I'll know if the color match is ok.

Thanks, Everyone, for your input!

gary griffin

Ralph,

I am fixing sunburn in my 1957 Fleetwood.  Mine is too bad to just fix at this point. I cut a small piece of cloth from the bottom of the seat in an overlap (Extra cloth beyond the stitches) area and sent it to SMS.  They sent a sample which is close enough in appearance but does not stretch the same as the original. It will suffice for now!

Whole car carpet kits are available for $250 on up depending on what you want. Again I suggest a small sample from under the seat
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Hi Gary,

I was not singling out SMS as a vendor. I was suggesting best business practices to protect the buyer especially for high dollar items like upholstery fabric. While there are many honest and reputable vendors to the hobby I've seen a lack of integrity and pride too often lately with on line auctions and e-purchases. I've heard complaints about  bait and switch artists, sloppy workmanship not to spec, increased final billing and items clearly misrepresented. Taking the time to specify or define the transaction in advance gives you recourse should there be any issue.

The Romans said it best "Caveat Emptor"
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

cappy102

LeBaron - Bonney is another source I've checked out. One thing I will say about SMS is that they replied to my email almost before I hit the 'send' button. That would indicate to me that they're serious about customer service.

I've attached the swatch photo that SMS sent for me to view...the actual swatches are on the way.