News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Source for Hood and Trunk Insulation 1959 Sedan DeVille

Started by BillR. CLC # 29203, October 17, 2017, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillR. CLC # 29203

Checked previous messages and found reference to hood insulation but I failed to see a source.
Also looking for a source for the material in the trunk lid inside those 3 or 4 openings.
I don't have a picture because the car is not where I am at the moment.
Anybody have a lead?
Thanks in advance.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203 
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

cappy102

Here are a couple of options:

1. Caddy Daddy (expensive)        http://www.caddydaddy.com/shop-parts/hood/insulation-pads-retainer-clips/1957-cadillac-hood-insulation-pad-reproduction-free-shipping-in-the-usa.html

2. OPGI (just the fiberglass pad...no vinyl cover)        https://www.opgi.com/cadillac/CE00511/

Since the mice are invading my hood insulation, I'm about to repair what's there, using the OPGI pad with my original vinyl cover, but it's in good shape. If yours is missing or trashed, the full-on reproduction pad might be an option.

MB
1957 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza

gkhashem

1959 Oldsmobile 98 Holiday Sports Sedan
1960 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr #72)
1964 Oldsmobile 98 Town Sedan (OCA 1st)
1970 GMC C1500
1977 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe
1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville (CLC Sr Crown #959)*
1992 Oldsmobile 98 (OCA 1st)
1996 Oldsmobile 98
*CLC Past President's Preservation

Past Cadillacs
1959 Coupe Deville
1966 Coupe Deville (Sr #861)*
1991 Eldorado Biarritz (Sr #838)

BillR. CLC # 29203

Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Dan LeBlanc

The trunk insulation is not just in the four holes.  It's a one piece sheet that was installed between the outer skin and the inner frame of the trunk lid before they were mated together.  Cutting out pieces to fit into the holes most likely won't look right as you don't have a way to sandwich around the opening like the original.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

59-in-pieces

Bill,
As Dan points out about the trunk, it was a single sheet.
The material itself was a crushed embossed patterned fiber composite.
Putting individual pieces in - unless you want to separate the trunk lid - is not that tough, using a similar type mastic.
What is a bit tougher is to line up the pattern in each hole to give the look of a single sheet.
Get a swatch from the supplier to match the pattern and color - as most will tell you, the color was not black as most all reproductions seem to be - that I am aware of.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher