News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 front parking lights

Started by 60kaddydaddy, October 18, 2017, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

60kaddydaddy

Can't seem to get my front parking lights to come on. There are 2 lights on each side of car and the outside are coming on as the turn signal but both inner lights nothing. I did change the bulbs any suggestions?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Does your car have the accessory Fog Lights?   If the lenses are different, this could be the case.

If they are Fog Lights, then the owners Manual will advise you how to turn them on.

It is to do with the headlight switch.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

60kaddydaddy

Do not have fog lamps.The rear parking lights come on when you pull out knob to first position but no fronts also noticed the dash does not dim either when you turn knob.Could my switch be bad

David Greenburg

If you have fog lights, there is a ring at the base of the headlight switch to control them.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

59-in-pieces

J,
Without fog lights, when the switch is pulled out to the first detente, the parking lights - all 4, inner & outer - should come on.
I assume nothing comes on in front unless the turn signals are used, at which time only the outer lights light up, flash.
As I recall - at least with a 59 switch, the last tab of the switch is where the harness connects to the parking lights.
Pull the lenses and bulbs in all 4 lights - check for continuity in each socket - with and without the switch pulled to the first position.
Lack of power flow may indicate a problem with the harnesses or the switch itself.
If the interior lights do not dim or brighten, there is a problem with the rheostat at the front of the switch.
Check for a broken wire to the contact that moves around the circular tabs of the rheostat.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher