News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A6 compressor clutch seized, what to do? 1968.

Started by mikanystrom, November 04, 2017, 01:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby B

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 09, 2017, 09:13:26 PM
I wonder how god the 4 seasons ones are. I have a 4 seasons rebuild in my 1996 Fleetwood, and its been good for a few years. I use that car a lot more than my 1968.

I've never had a problem with their products. I've been using their products in all my old cars. The '47 has three of their motors in there since I converted to 12V. They were the only company that had the identical replacement as far as size, shaft diameter, and rotation to match the original 6V motors. Have one under the dash and two in the underseat heaters. Their catalog is quite impressive and highly detailed...
                                                                                                             Bobby

http://www.4s.com/en/products/motors/
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

bcroe

I would just say, I would NEVER go to the labor and expense to
replace a perfectly good compressor, open up and recharge a
refrigeration system, if all it need was to put a bearing in the
clutch. 

New stuff, it has caused me so many quality problems, I avoid
it in favor of good used original whenever possible.  Bruce Roe

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

FWIW I just timed the removal and replacement of the clutch, pulley and bearing replacement at just under an hour, working slowly with the correct factory tools.  That is with the compressor unbolted from the intake but left connected to the refrigerant lines.  Although in the past I had just about never seen a pulley bearing go out, it seems to occur with a greater frequency on the current run of rebuilds.  Apparently they are reluctant to replace the $30.00 bearing and are re using old and possibly failing ones.
I am currently working up a stock of pulley/bearing/clutch assemblies for my future use so when failure occurs I will be ready.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mikanystrom

Quote from: bcroe on December 09, 2017, 10:16:47 PM
I would just say, I would NEVER go to the labor and expense to
replace a perfectly good compressor, open up and recharge a
refrigeration system, if all it need was to put a bearing in the
clutch. 

Can't deny it sounds a bit crazy, but I think it really only took me an hour as well, and I don't have all the pulley tools (only about half of them)...
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)

cadillacmike68

Yes, if the rest of the compressor and its internals are fine, then undo the belts remove it from the intake and use the pullers to take the old clutch and pulleys out and replace whats bad. Absolutely no sense in breaking the lines.

Of course you need to be able to find the correct dual groove parts.....
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
For some reason a couple of years ago when I wanted to buy a clutch/pulley assembly I found them hard to find.  It prompted a project where I collected a few single and double belt pulleys and bought some bearings.  I have a stock for what ever  I might need in the foreseeable future.   I think it is because at one time when a pulley needed a bearing they just discarded them and used another, leading to the shortage.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

mikanystrom

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on December 10, 2017, 08:40:17 PM
Yes, if the rest of the compressor and its internals are fine, then undo the belts remove it from the intake and use the pullers to take the old clutch and pulleys out and replace whats bad. Absolutely no sense in breaking the lines.

Of course you need to be able to find the correct dual groove parts.....

Yeah that's really the problem.  My autozone (right down the street) carries the compressor but not the parts!  I was actually thinking of taking the new compressor apart to swap pulleys and bearings as you suggest and keeping the rest of it but decided to swap and get the core charge back instead....
1970 De Ville Convertible
1993 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Series 75 Formal Sedan
1968 Eldorado "Purple Sister"
------------------------------------------------
1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 455 4-spd
1999 Camaro SS Convertible 6-spd
1999 Honda CBR 1100XX :-)