News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 oil filter. What type

Started by PatiCadi, December 08, 2017, 03:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatiCadi

Good day All ,
I just bought a CDV 1955 .
As I have the car in France but often in the Us I want to buy enough oil filters to get covered the next years ,
Which please is the best fit ?
I have the possibility to buy some fram here in the shop in Huntsville AL ,
What is right C4 or C4P  ?
Thanks for the help !
Patrick Slarko

J. Gomez

Quote from: PatiCadi on December 08, 2017, 03:52:02 PM
Good day All ,
I just bought a CDV 1955 .
As I have the car in France but often in the Us I want to buy enough oil filters to get covered the next years ,
Which please is the best fit ?
I have the possibility to buy some fram here in the shop in Huntsville AL ,
What is right C4 or C4P  ?
Thanks for the help !
Patrick Slarko

Patrick,

The original oil filter is the AC/Delco P-115 the equivalent FRAM would be the C4P, the C4 is slight different from the C4P.

The description of the C4 is as follows:
Part Number C4
Product Type By-Pass Lube Cartridge
Product Height 4.88"
Product I.D. .53"
Product O.D. 4.2"

And the C4P is listed as follows:
Part Number C4P
Product Type By-Pass Lube Cartridge
Gasket I.D. 4.34"
Gasket O.D. 4.73"
Gasket Thickness .08"
Gasket Usage Gasket
Product Height 4.88"
Product I.D. .55"
Product O.D. 4.33"

You could probably order them from Rock Auto if you intend in getting several and have them ship to you place in Huntsville. AL. Else any Autozone, NAPA, O’Reilly part stores would need to special order the quantities you are looking for, just an option.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Yes, Jose is the man! Here is another option for you, in case you are interested. While I have not used Fram filters in a while, (read some off comments about them in another car forum), I have been using Wix 51100 Cartridge Metal Canister Oil filters for about 5 years and find that they are quite satisfactory, (and come with a gasket). My vehicle is a '56 Caddy but I think it uses the same oil filter as your '55 (if your car is stock equipped). The Wix 51100 filter is available to order online via Amazon for example, but I usually get a better deal ordering from a local parts supplier. In keeping with Jose's high degree of quality info referencing here also are some specs on the 51100: Clay/Lexi

Part Number: 51100
UPC Number: 765809511002
Style: Cartridge Lube Metal Canister Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 5.007 (127)*
Outer Diameter: 4.094 (104)*
Inside Diameter: 0.553 (14)*

(  )* denotes metric

Gasket Diameters

Number

15039 Packed  5.125 (130)* 4.375 (111)* 0.07 (2)*  Diameters OD, ID  and thickness)

Principle Application:

Principle Application: Cadillac (51-58), GM Cars/Trucks (50-62), Clark, Hercules, John Deere, New Holland, Other

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The original AC P-115 oil cartridge oil filter is still available.  Fortunately,
they were also used on Chevys from 1949 to about the mid 50's so
there are plenty of them around.  I paid $11 some years ago and bought
a lifetime supply.  Price hasen't changed much -- $12.50 is the price
on Ebay:

Here is one source:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-NOS-Oil-filter-AC-1946-55-all-6-Cyl-56-62-heavy-duty-Drop-in-style/301621333231?epid=696742522&hash=item463a084cef:g:Q18AAOSwWKtUy9cs&vxp=mtr

Any good auto parts store also should be able to special order them.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

J. Gomez

Clay,

I'm glad you are my backup my friend,  ;) totally forgot about Wix filters  :-[
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Jose no problem. You are indeed one of the "Cadillac Gods" as a purveyor of rare Caddy information, even for Cadillac connoisseurs. Wonder if anyone has an opinion on whether any one of these filters is superior to the others? Thought I read some reports about the Fram filters disintegrating prematurely while in use. While I never had that problem with them, I decided to try Wix and found their fitment is fantastic. Have had no problems with them. Clay/Lexi

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Since stores were mentioned I will day that I found Autozone to be the lowest cost. I bought them and the store had them the next day. Got the Fram.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

J. Gomez

Clay,

You are indeed a gentleman, I’m just one of the few Cadillac tinkerer around this site as you are.  :D

The only differences I’ve found on the FRAM versus the Wix is the metal cover around the Wix versus the FRAM has the cardboard type. I did hear from other folks as well as you noticing the FRAM filters collapsing do to the spring pressure after a long usage more of time for the changes than mileage, since most of the cars stand in hibernation for long time.

As you I do prefer using the Wix brand although a bit more $ than the FRAM but is worth it.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Lexi

Yes, that is what I heard Jose. I don't think most of us would leave them in that long for that to happen though. And yes they are not cheap, though as you said they are worth it. Now I feel like doing an oil change. Miss not working on the car when the cold, bad weather comes. Clay/Lexi

PatiCadi

Woaw , that's information !
Thank you gents , i will get both , the wix and the fram and tell later which one is the best .
Anyhow , thanks for your expertise
Patrick

Lexi

Yes Patrick. Do let us know how they work out & good luck with your '55 beauty. Clay/Lexi

cadman56

I've used WIX exclusively for 55 yrs. on everything I have owned or serviced.  Once I get my 56 back on the road it will see 500+ miles / mo.  No since having it if I don't drive it.
BTW, did someone get around to making the metal spools the filters set on?
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

This brings up a question in my mind (not to mention the possibility of hijacking the new guy's thread). How good are these types of filter systems anyway? Does the filter matter as much as the standard flow thru filter?
I bought 2 cheaper Frams because my car had been sitting for 20+ years. I dropped the pan and then ran it for 15 minutes then did the first change. Going to change the next after 500 miles and then go regular after that. 
How effective is this system?
Sorry for the hijack.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bob Kielar

Wix is what I use on my 55 51100 is the number. I also use them on my everyday drivers. Wix also has the fuel filter with gasket #33034 for the original type fuel filter system. Our local Bumper to Bumper has a car show in the spring and they offer a 20% discount in the store even if you don't participate in the show. They always have one of the filters in stock. Great store great folks working there. The show is free but they have 50-50 raffles for the veterans had out two scholarships to local high school students also donate all the food for the Boy Scouts to cook and the Boy Scouts receive all the profits. They also had out trophies. Sorry if I rambled on about Bumper to Bumper but they deserve it.

Keep Cruzin,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

Lexi

Hi Larry. Hope your Seville project is going fine. In answer to your question, 'no' I have not heard about any follow up to those metal spools that the filters sit on. I eventually found an original (thank you Frank Puma), but man oh man they are a tough part to locate. With or without the 'spool' the Wix 51100 fit fine, though as this is just a by-pass filter I always wondered if it's efficiency was further reduced when used without the spool.

For those not aware of this part it is a 'Top Hat' shaped or somewhat sewing bobbin looking metal spacer that fits inside at the bottom of your oil filter housing. It slides over that center pole that the filter also fits over. The spool or 'Top Hat' (as Corvette Ben called them), sits at the bottom of the filter housing to elevate the installed oil filter-presumably to achieve better oil flow. See pic below. Though the locking nut and hold down spring is missing from this photo it does show the elusive 'spool', (as many are missing from our cars). Over the years they got discarded or lost during an oil change. Perhaps Patrick has his first parts location assignment? Clay/Lexi

Edit: The Master Parts Lists that I have seen do not picture or itemize this part. It formed part of the complete oil filter housing unit. As far as I know, there is no separate part number for it.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The purpose of the "little metal hat" is to elevate the
filter above the sump of the enclosure where crud tends
to settle.  You will get better filtration this way.  That's
why when you change oil you are supposed to clean the
sump out with a piece of rag or paper towels.

Since this system is not a "full flow" design, only a portion of
the oil is filtered as you drive so it needs all the help it cal get.

As to Fram filters, I always felt they were inferior.  The cardboard
enclosure is junk.  Yes, they are cheaper -- wonder why? 

I use the AC P-115 since it's readily available. Wix would be my
second choice - both have the perforated metal enclosure.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

Confirms my above thoughts. So Mike do you use the P-115 based only on price or is there another factor?  Clay/Lexi

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I use the P-115 because, IMHO, it's the best for the job.  I don't
really price shop filters. If they are a few Dollars more so be it.
Why use a filter (oil, air, gas) just because it's cheap?  Foolish,
when you spend thousands on the vehicle.

I use AC's on all my vehicles.

Years ago I used Fram for several applications and had some issues
with them (gasket leaks).  So, I'm not a fan of those.
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX

Lexi

Makes sense to me, hence why I don't mind spending the big bucks on the Wix. I was just not aware that the P-115 was still available. Will have to give them a try. Thanks for posting that info. Clay/Lexi

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Lexi:

Well, I was mistaken -- they stopped making the P-115 in 2007.
I bought a dozen of them about 10 years ago and that will last
me forever.  I decided to do a quick internet search to confirm the
availability.  The only place is eBay and there is no need to do that.

However, the WIX is available and your best bet.  I used them for years
on an old Jeep I had.

Have a look at this (pics & specifications):

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=164029

It's made just like the AC filter, all steel no cardboard.  They are made in
Charlotte, NC -- no Chinese junk.

I would order a few while they are still around.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
2011 Buick Lucerne CX