News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What Year Did Cadillac first install overdrive in its cars?

Started by EAM 17806, December 16, 2017, 06:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EAM 17806

Interesting to note when did Cadillac first introduce overdrive in its cars as standard equipment?  Can't find it through BING or GOOGLE?  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

Dave Shepherd

TJ Hopland

I don't think any of the earlier autos had higher than a 1:1 for their highest gear. 

81 if you got the optional V6 you got the 200 4R which had an overdrive.  It was then paired with the 4100 which was standard for most cars starting in 82.   Except for the commercial chassis I don't think you could get a non OD Cad after 82.

I don't know anything about the manuals.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Big Apple Caddy

As noted by TJ, 1981 DeVilles and Fleetwood Broughams with optional V6 included automatic overdrive transmissions. 

Ford offered automatic overdrive transmissions a year earlier on various 1980 models including Lincoln Continental and Mark VI.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 16, 2017, 09:32:08 PM
   Except for the commercial chassis I don't think you could get a non OD Cad after 82.

Limousine models also did not have an OD transmission through 1984, which continued using the 6.0 liter V8-6-4.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Greg C

Cadillac offered the buick v6 w/200r4  later in 1980, with the v6 you got automatic seat belts.
the v6 lasted into 82, the 6 also got 3.23:1 rear end  I have heard this rear end in a 307 [powered] caddy gives it much better driveability.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's correct - V6 became available mid-year 1980 (credit option).
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

Interesting question, what trans did you get with the V6 in 80 RWD cars?   Resource I have only list the 400 for 'all models' which we know isn't true because of the Eldo and Seville.   The 78 and 79 Seville with the diesel got what Cadillac called the 'diesel' transmission which was a 200.   My guess is that was what you got with the V6 in 80 since I don't think the 200 4R was out yet.   200 was what most of the other GM's with the Buick V6 got in the era. 

So none of the manuals had OD?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason