News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge does not read steady 52 Fleetwood cobpnverted to 12v

Started by papas52cad, December 17, 2017, 07:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papas52cad

Can anyone offer any insight as to reason fuel gauge does not read steady once it starts to fall from full tank and when driving. The indicator shifts back and forth.
It is not a big deal but if there is something that help stabilize the indicator that would be good to know. All the gauges we sent out for correction when conversion was done from 6-12v about 10 yrs ago.
Thank you for any thoughts, ideas on setting down the indicator.
1952 Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

Most probably because as the fuel level drops, the float starts to rise up and down as the fuel sloshes around in the tank.

Modern Sender Units have a baffle around the float to control this movement, and this would be especially true for cars with computer controls  as the sender unit is tied up with the trip computer, and a widely fluctuating sender would play havoc with the readings.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

papas52cad

Hi Bruce
I suspected this, so seems it is the nature of the beast...at least it works and I can tell level once car is stopped.
Thank you
1952 Fleetwood

walt chomosh #23510

My 1955 CDV is the same way. I thought I had a problem until I talked to other owners and they also experience fluctuation of their indicator. Surprised GM didn't use tank baffles or some type of dampening circuit to prevent this......walt....tulsa,ok