News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: Goodbye & thanks.
Last post by Vince Taliano #13852 - Today at 04:19:40 PM
Quote from: Carfreak on Today at 02:53:35 PMI don't recall since it really wasn't pertinent, did you mention living in Calf? 

There are two Calf CLC Regions (NorCal, SoCal) which IF you were a member, you could join those groups to enjoy their camaraderie, shows, meetings, tours, events, etc etc. 

National events move around to different areas of the country; if the GN is in one area, they try to have a Driving Tour in a different area. And they attempt to move GNs around also - they have been held in Albuquerque (2023), Vegas and San Marcos Texas - not always on the east coast. Also Chicagoland and Louisville were more centrally located. 

Hi Sue,

Now there is a third region in California, the Palm Springs Region.  In addition, the CLC is exploring West Coast locations for the 2027 Grand National to stay in sync with the "windshield wiper" national event philosphy.  Also, Marc Tuwiner has a Cadillac parts yard in the Reno area (as listed on the forum in the past).  So, the future looks bright for members on that side of the country.  There is plenty of CLC-related camaraderie to be had.

Vince

Quote from: Carfreak on Today at 03:13:13 PMSarcasm duly noted.

The decision was made by an elected Board of Directors AND representatives from Regions of the CLC. Not being a member of OUR Club, it would not be expected for you to be aware of the process. 

EVERY MEMBER has an opportunity to attend Board Meetings, both Winter and Summer.  Chairs are always made available in the meeting room but most remain empty.

Board members are attending meetings at their own expense often traveling hundreds or thousands of miles distance by air, car or train to the meeting location.  Committee meetings are also held during the same time period. This process has been quite successful.

During COVID an online meeting was held which didn't seem as productive and successful; most people still like to interact in person with their peers. Persons nominated for a Director position understand the expectation of them to attend the meetings.   

EVERY MEMBER has the opportunity to bring topics to the attention of the Board, through an elected Director in their Region or appointed Region representative. 

The CLC National Driving Tour is being held late August in Wichita KS. I thought based on your boasting of superb mechanical skills, your cars would capable of driving at least that distance?

So, not unlike when you want to fight a traffic ticket then.. want to fight it? You still have to pay it first. Want to state your position in front of the board that the forums should not be behind a paywall? Well you still have to pay to do that. Do you not see the irony there? You're again proposing something as a way to make one's position known, but first requiring that person to do the very thing that person is arguing against.

I like the continued smartass remarks like your last sentence there.. just shows the weakness of your own position. Strongly held views on solid ground do not require resorting to that in order to defend your argument. It's also an ignorant and reductive argument in its own right, as the reliability of one's vehicle to travel long distances is far from the only factor in determining whether or not someone can justify making a multi-day road trip across the country. Not everyone here is retired, nor does everyone choose to spend their time and expendable income the same ways. It's foolish to assume that anyone and everyone can automatically just make trips like that just because you might be able to. You surely knew all that, but it hurts your argument, so you conveniently left that part out.
For Sale - Cars / Re: 1980 fleetwood D’Elegance,...
Last post by V63 - Today at 04:00:15 PM
Quote from: jagbuxx #12944 on Today at 11:32:55 AMI believe that is a Sedan deVille, not Fleetwood

You are absolutely correct, I'll change the post! Thankyou!
Mike,
It sounds like someone jury rigged the control system and hooked the compressor directly to 12 volts. I am going to say that all bets are off as to what else was done and recommend you get a Factory service manual and follow the electrical and vacuum line diagrams to see exactly what departures have been made from factory.
Greg Surfas
Technical / Authenticity / 1969 Deville front wheel beari...
Last post by BigSky - Today at 03:41:19 PM
I just purchased some wheel bearings from Speedway Motors #9102755 and the inner bearings are too small and the seals are not the same as the originals that I pulled off. Anyone know where I can order correct bearings for these hubs?
Thanks 69" DeVille, that makes sense because I remember seeing a black wire(s) in that bundle, but no blue.  I guess I "ASSumed" Blue because it looks like a Sky Blue Wire in the Lower Right (EZ) port of the bulkhead connector, but maybe I'm 180 off in looking at the connector diagram - I'll have to look closer.
We pulled the transmission yesterday and dropped it off at the tranny shop to get checked over. Among all the things I wanted to do it was among the last, but the only thing worse would have been firing it up and either not moving, or moving for a bit and then grenading and having to take it all apart again and even greater expense. Access was easy in it's current state and it actually only took a few hours   >:(

Will advise on what is found for future people in this situation.
Technical / Authenticity / Re: 1960 Plug Wires
Last post by Lexi - Today at 03:17:45 PM
Lectric Ltd (Chicago?) has reproduction wire sets for our cars. Made just like the old days, even using some old equipment. Fusick carries them, (or last I checked they did). Clay/Lexi
General Discussion / Re: Townhall Meeting with CLC ...
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 03:13:13 PM
Quote from: MultipleCaddies on Today at 11:28:04 AMI would happily attend if I didn't live 2,500 miles away. The fact that the meeting is free doesn't make a meaningful difference in my ability to do so.

I do like how decisions made about how a forum used by people worldwide somehow have to be made in person at a meeting that most people cannot attend.

Sarcasm duly noted.

The decision was made by an elected Board of Directors AND representatives from Regions of the CLC. Not being a member of OUR Club, it would not be expected for you to be aware of the process. 

EVERY MEMBER has an opportunity to attend Board Meetings, both Winter and Summer.  Chairs are always made available in the meeting room but most remain empty.

Board members are attending meetings at their own expense often traveling hundreds or thousands of miles distance by air, car or train to the meeting location.  Committee meetings are also held during the same time period. This process has been quite successful.

During COVID an online meeting was held which didn't seem as productive and successful; most people still like to interact in person with their peers. Persons nominated for a Director position understand the expectation of them to attend the meetings.   

EVERY MEMBER has the opportunity to bring topics to the attention of the Board, through an elected Director in their Region or appointed Region representative. 

The CLC National Driving Tour is being held late August in Wichita KS. I thought based on your boasting of superb mechanical skills, your cars would capable of driving at least that distance?
As a follow up to this I am back to square one. My rear tail shaft is still leaking and I took it apart again.

I included a couple photos as I found the original J-1354 seal driver on EBay. This driver has 3 layers. The top layer holds the seal. The middle layer fits into the inner diameter of the shaft and the bottom layer stops the driver at the end of the shaft.

The end result is the seal being driven into the shaft only 1/4 inch. I drove the other seal as deep into the shaft as it would go with the other driver I used.

The first seal I removed was also driven in as deep as it would go and leaked.

I would be curious to know if anyone thinks this might be the difference.

Thank you