News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

56 Cadillac voltage issue

Started by fredneck872, April 01, 2015, 12:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredneck872

I am in the process of putting back together my 56 Cadillac I just had all the gauges and clock rebuilt got them installed they were working for a little bit then they quit smells like they got hot is there any way of locating the problem and how does this happen

J. Gomez

If you check the wiring diagram the clock has a direct +12V feed. If yours is the original electro-mechanical one it is possible the contacts are stuck and the coil is/was burned up.

The drawback is there is no fuse to protect the clock electrical coil if the contacts get stuck, disconnect the red wire from the clock and check again.  :(

The cluster gauges gas, temp are feed via the “INST” fuse pink wire, and power is applied from the ignition switch.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

fredneck872

Thank You J Gomez for the valuable information I'm almost thinking my voltage regulator is over charging the battery and it's giving too many volts for the wiring inside the car I'm trying to figure out how to check the voltage regulator any ideas

J. Gomez

Have you properly polarized the generator once the battery was connected?

The generator provides no charging at idle, so the regulator would cut-off the charging path. Once the RPM increases at around 1200 RPM is when the charging begins.

You can do some basic testing with a regular voltmeter on the voltage regulator by following the Service Manual Section 9-19 under step 26. If you have an ammeter with a range of 50A (the old car ammeter would do it) you can do additional testing up to step 29.

Good luck..!   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

fredneck872

I had the generator rebuilt and when I brought it home I polarized it right new battery the battery when the car is setting is a little over 12 volts when the car is running at 1500 2000 r_p_m this it's around 13.8 volts so I'm think I'm charging okay I'm just not sure if it's over charging I've read horror stories on overcharging older cars that will actually blow the light bulbs up so I'm kind of worried I'm thinking it might be a ground issue

J. Gomez

Your voltage reading is within normal range, if you take a look at the chart under Fig 9-20 in Section 9-17 the voltage at 85 degree ambient temp for the regulator should close to 14.8V at 1500rmp. It shows lower as the ambient temps goes higher.

I do not remember seeing or reading a generator would cause the damage you stated. What I know have seen and experience was with alternators when the diodes go bad putting direct A/C on the line.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

fredneck872

thank you for that information J Gomez I see that in my figure 921 but I don't have a quarter ohm resistor to hook up to the power side which the diagram shows me too I will have to see about locating one I am kind of a greenhorn when it comes to this electrical stuff thank you very much for your information