News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Northstar Head Gasket Repair

Started by okccadman, June 25, 2010, 11:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okccadman

I hate to bring this up but has anyone here ever tried the "miracle" liquid head gasket repair by Heal-a-Seal?  They say they have a special formula for Northstars.  At $185 shipped, its expensive but lots cheaper than a dealer repair.  I was advised not to try a helicoil repair on my 02 with 305,000 but thought it my be worth a try before engine replacement.  It does have a money back guarantee lol.  Anyone tried it?  www.heal-a-seal.com
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You may want to save yourself some money and check up on this product here:

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2005/july/25/32.htm

The old saying is "If it sounds too good to be true -- it usually is".  Apparently, the
stuff doesn't work as advertised which is no surprise to me.  I spent years in the
chemical business selling raw materials to companies making auto chemicals including
many types of stop leak additives.  You would be amazed at what they put in this stuff.

Some work for minor radiator leaks (temporary measure) but for a problem like
yours, you'll have to bite that bullet and get it repaired.

Good luck with your problem,

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

IF you have any symptoms of a head gasket problem there is only one way to fix it and the only part of the fix that is in a can is the beer you are going to drink while you are waiting for the new head gasket (and thread inserts) to be installed.

The thread repair kit for the Northstars from a place called Timesert.  The come up on ebay from time to time, many of them 'used once'.  The kits come with enough inserts for several engines and the inserts themselves are not that special so the are fairly cheap.  The jigs and the bits are the special parts and since its all aluminum someone would have to be real abusive to hurt the bits.  Having a kit is a must if you plan to take anything apart on one of those engines.  Even if you get it apart and there are still threads there wont be when you try and put it back together.  With the kit the inserts are the easiest part of the whole repair.  There is a few different kits for different jobs and vintages.  They come with stepped bits and alignment plates so you can easily do it with a regular hand held drill. I have assisted tearing one of these down / out.   For a modern car its really not that bad especially if you have a few tools.  I have worked on some smaller cars like a Grand Am that was much worse to get the motor out and even worse to work on the motor even out of the car.  Im sure that was not even as bad as it gets.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Guidematic

I really don't think there is such a thing as a mechanic in a can. At least one that works.

The biggest part of the head gasket replacement on these engines is the engine removal. But once the engine is out, you will be amazed at how simple this engine really is. Just follow the procedures to the letter, and it will go back together and have no issues.

I have no experience with these inserts, but I do know they are similar to many other types of insetrs that are commonly used in the trade, such as Heli-Coils. You just have to make sure the hole is properly drilled, which this jig apparently covers. It's really a straight forward operation.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

76eldo

Goop in a bottle is never a cure.

It's the same thing as having a big 'ol nail in your tire, dumping in a can of fix-a-flat, then going on a family vacation on the highway.

It will fail.  Honestly, I am interested in a 2002 to 2005 DTS for weekend leisure driving but I am afraid of getting one that a dealer or wholesaler used that gasket seal crap in.

Cadillac should be ashamed of themselves.  There are TONS of Northstar headgasket failures.  I would trust my 76 or my 80 to run forever with proper care.  Once they started with aluminum and cylinder liners it's been problematic.

Just my opinion.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv