News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1947 Cadillac Convertible parts needed

Started by Cadcliff, April 20, 2014, 12:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadcliff

Looking for the side window frames both both sides, all 6
Also might need upper door exterior trim and rear quarter belt line trim.
Just getting this car and might need a few other pieces as this car has been sitting for over 25 years.
So, if you have some 47 Convertible "only" items, let me know please
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon x3
1956 Cadillac Broadmoor Wagon- One of two
1955 Eldorado- bronze
1961 Cadillac Biarritz-bucket seats
1964 CDV- Silver/Red Every option
1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
1940 and 1941 60S
1961 Cadillac Convertible
1965 Cadillac Convertible

William Aprile

call bill at 1 516 319 5475  or email matchboxb@aol.com have tons of 47 caddy convertable parts hood fenders trim interior chrome clocks steering wheels too much too list want to sell as one  package or trade 

62 driver

Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Cadcliff

Thank you for the info Bill Ingler...I would still need the lower part for the rear quarters and the vent assemblies. Any other leads would be appreciated.

62 Driver- what was the link for? It is no longer available ???
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Eldorado- bronze
1940 and 1941 60S

Bill Ingler #7799

Cliff: As you already know, certain 1946-7 Cad convertible only parts are very difficult to find even if you have deep pockets. Windows, stainless door and stainless quarter belt moldings, chrome door caps and chrome door inner/ outer garnish moldings, seats and fender spears are some of the items. The 46-48 Buick convert as well as the 47 Olds 98 convert used some of the same parts I have listed. Not many Olds 98 converts were made so not many used Olds parts are around but the Buick converts might help you in finding your parts. Being a conservative and knowing how difficult it is to find convert only parts, I personally would not start a 47 Cad convert restoration until I had all the parts.    Bill

62 driver

Sorry it gone.  It was for a early 1980 Cadillac factory made el camino. $1,500.  Someone said their was 500 made. O Well!
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Quentin Hall

Gday Cliff, I have quite a few 47 conv trim bits. Might have a pair of vent wings. Might also be able to make you the lower rear window frame in ss.  I am a couple of weeks b4 I'm home. Send me some pics of the car so I can get idea. admin@53Eldorado.com Q.
PS I need 59 Eldo int ss trim
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Cadcliff

I will send you some pics this weekend Quentin....

Yes I agree that I should not attempt this without finding all the parts, but the car is available to me now at a reasonable price. I believe we might have found the door window frames and very possibly the rear quarter frames also.

If I do get the car I will have quite a few extra parts for sale...lots of nice dry western sheet metal and lots of parts from a 1947 Fleetwood that was parted out along with some 46 Fastback parts.

I made this same mistake years ago with a 58 Pontiac Bonneville that missing lots of side trim, took me a few months to get the stuff but what a PITA....
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Eldorado- bronze
1940 and 1941 60S

Bill Ingler #7799

Cliff: Here are a few other only convert parts that are very hard to find. On the convert, the outside door handle stem is about 3/8 inch longer that the sedan/coupe. The convert door is wider to accommodate the hydraulic cylinder and lift for the windows, hence the need for the longer stem. The same can be said for the vent window regulators are also different, the vent regulator stem is also longer to accommodate the wider door. The rear quarter window regulators are also hard to find so make sure they are with the car. Window switches for the hydraulic widows as well as the front seat switch are in short supply and very, very expensive. Inside as well as the outside front windshield moldings are a different height than the coupe/ sedan. The reason for this is the convert windshield has a smaller height since the front bow is sitting on the top of the windshield frame thus keeping the height of the convert & coupe/sedan the same. The frame of the convert dash as well as the convert trunk lid are unique to the convert as well as the back seat back and cushion.   Bill

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Back in the day, when I was a teenager (1958), the going price for a quite decent 46-47 convertible in Indianapolis was $300. By the time I had my folks convinced that I really wanted an older Cadillac, they were gone and I settled for my first 1941 6127. I "almost" got a yellow '47 convt for $125.00 and someone beat me to it. I saw it on Washington Street a few days later full of guys cruising. I probably lucked out there. The lot was between two buildings, not even gravel on the lot, and only about two cars wide. It didn't even have an "Honest John's Fine Cars" sign out front. The ones that got away...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Cadcliff

Still on the hunt for some parts...
I am trying to get the car back home in a couple of weeks...
Might just try to sell it as is and see what happens....I am sure some Hot Rod, custom guys would not be as concerned about the unique parts as most of us are....
Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Eldorado- bronze
1940 and 1941 60S

Cadcliff

Got the car home the other day and while searching through the previous owners sheds we actually found quite a few of the unique parts, but not all....

Did find vent window assemblies, rear quarter windows, upper out door trim, upper door interior pieces and one rear quarter inner upper panel.

Is there some sort of trim that goes on the front door inner upper metal panels ?

Cliff Graubard
CLC #1430

1955 Eldorado- bronze
1940 and 1941 60S

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Cliff: Yes there are trim pieces that go inside, on top of the door, called chrome garnish moldings which sit on the top of what they call a Belt Finish Panel. Please look at the pictures below. In picture 1, shows the top of the quarter window Belt Finish Panel and chrome garnish molding, 1 being the belt panel and 2 is the chrome garnish molding. Picture 2 shows the front door with panel and molding. Picture 3, the door closed showing the two top garnish moldings.
Glad you found some additional parts. I see by the picture the windshield outer garnish moldings are not on the car. Here is another part unique to the convert only as these outer as well as the inner garnish moldings are OK length wise but height wise are about 2 inches shorter than sedan or coupe. If you need more pictures just let me know.   Bill

Paul van Acker#18204#

Hi,
I have in mint condition restored both side gravel-shields.
Regards,

Paul van Acker
info@cadillaccollector.com

Jackofalltrades70

I currently have several sets of "New" vent window frames.  I had these recast and am in the process of machining them. 
Please let me know if you are still interested.  I have 5 sets available.  These will fit Buick, Cadillac and some Oldsmobile applications I believe.

Bobby B

Cliff,
Hi. Whatever Bill says is always right on when dealing with this car. I went through a lot of heartache myself finding out the hard way that this is probably one of the most difficult cars I have ever dealt with in my entire life. As we all know, being gorgeous also has its downside…... Just when I think I had enough, I stand back, look at it, and it sucks me right back in again. Same 'ol story…… I obviously didn't do my homework before purchasing, and afterwards, realized that all the little bits that were either missing or left undone, were that way for good reason by the PO….Basically un-obtanium, unless you have WAY deep pockets. Reading Bill's previous post's here, along with everyone else's help, have given me hope that some form of a God does exist. There are parts on this car that are just scarce or not available. We do have a slight advantage by also looking towards the Buicks and Olds for some parts that crossover. I was also missing my rear quarter windows. No mounting diagrams, nothing to go by, and something of a blurry book known as "The Service Manual" is no roadmap if you're lost. It took me almost one year to get the job done, but they are finished, and look beautiful. If you need some advice on this, feel free to PM or call me, and I can save you a lot of aggravation so you don't make the same mistakes I did. Bill already knows the parts I need without me even asking him. Trying to find a passenger window switch bezel is similar to striking gold, along with a working trunk lock, fog light switch, washer bottle, etc…But that's no reason not to keep the car and restore it. Take Bill's advice and make sure you have as many parts as you can find for the car before you take it on, so you know exactly what you're getting into. Just be prepared for a little more of a challenge than the norm, with a little extra legwork  thrown in on this one. The satisfaction you'll get, and the attention this car draws, makes it all worth it in the end.  If I can help in any way, shape, or form, please reach out. Good Luck!
                                                                                                                                                                      Bob
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jackofalltrades70

I have a set of bezels for the cadillac switches also.  Will consider selling them with the switches.