News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Condensation In My Trunk

Started by Dennis DiNorcia, April 08, 2013, 03:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis DiNorcia

I have a 2006 DTS with a problem of condensation in the spare tire well of my trunk. The top spare tire cover seems to get soaked with water drops and I assume it drips into the spare tire well. I know the first thing everyone will ask is if the car was checked for leaks. Yes it has. I checked the weatherstrip with the dollar bill test, closing the trunk on a dollar bill in several places and the weatherstrip is tight. I also cut out a pattern of brown kraft paper and lined the entire area with it and left it for weeks and even went through several car washes but no signs of ANY water leak. I drilled some air holes in the bottom of the pan and installed rubber grommets figuring the well needed air but that did not help. I opened the trunk this weekend after several weeks of no rain and it was there again. The inside of the cover was dripping with beads of water and the spare tire and jack was all sweaty with water. Please help, what could this be?  Thanks.

Dave Shepherd

Well it is condensation or a leak still not detected, I would check a site like Alldata.com to see if there are any TSB's referring to this issue.

Roger Zimmermann

I had a 2000 DTS till 2011 when I replaced it with a new model. I never had the same problem as you have but, while washing the car, I notioced that drops of water came from under the trunk lid. I supposed that the water entered the trunk lid through the third brake light. As it was just a minor annoyance, I never did something.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillacmike68

You have a leak, possibly in 1 or more of the lights.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

R Schroeder

What you didn't tell us , was what the weather was like where you live.
Do you have warm humid days , and cool nights right now ?
This is a problem in the far northwest part of the U.S.
The outside of the spare tire well is exposed to the temperature change , if it is humid during the day.
Metal on the well could be cooling down, creating the condensation at night.
You said it had not rained , so it couldn't be a leak, but that tells me that the car could be sitting outside all the time. Is that correct ?
Roy

R Schroeder

It is just starting to get light here . We had 55 and rain yesterday. It is 36 degrees out right now, and because of all the humidity in the air , we have hit the dew point, and we have fog. My lawn furniture is all wet with dew.
It doesn't take hot and humid days to make condensation. All it takes is the right combination of water in the air, and the right temperature.
Roy

cadillacmike68

There usually isn't enough moisture in the air of the trunk compartment to cause the level of water described in the first post, especially is the trunk is kept closed. Water is getting in from somewhere. This has vexed me on several cars in the past 18 years down here in the rain, er, um sunshine state. Never did get it cured on my 2000 Eldorado, I Hope its cured on the 1968.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bob Schuman

A friend's 2008 CTS had the same problem, that was caused by one of the sunroof drain tubes being apparently kinked at the factory. There was never any visible water leakage into the passenger compartment, and straightening the kinked tube ended the problem.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5