News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40's vent window regulators

Started by gary griffin, October 31, 2014, 04:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

Are there any experts that repair these?  I have needs for a pair for my restoration or parts to repair mine.

I understand that there may have been repair kits for these also, does anybody know about these???

There are several variations and differences in them that are not noticeable at first.

It appears that there are two major variations. First one is sedans and probably coupes.  They have the handle rear of the vertical post.  Second seem to be cars that could have division windows and they (Or at least my 67 series) have the handle forward of the vertical post. My guess is that since the seats do not go back very far in these cars it is O K for the handle to be a few inches forward of where they are in the other models.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Steve Passmore

Have you scanned ebay? there seems to be loads on there if you can find some that match. I believe most GM uses the same type, I haven't seen any differences in the regulators in all my Cadillacs from 37 through 41 so you have good scope.  What is actually wrong with yours? its usually the slotted section on the top breaks off.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: Regulators are repairable at least the ones I did for my 47 convert. Below are two pages from the parts book showing the front regulator for your 42-67 car is the same as the rear door regulator for several other series cars. Most front vent regulators are the same for the coupe or sedan of a series for that year. A big difference is the regulator used for the convert for 42,46 and 47 has the handle shaft 3/8 inches longer than the coupe or sedan since the width of the convert door is wider than the sedan or coupe door. Picture below is a regulator for a convert that has been repaired. Most of the regulators for vent windows get broken from someone cranking the vent window shut, then trying to shut it too tight and the back plate pops the two rivets holding the plate. Any grease still left inside to lube the gears has dried hard so that also helps to pop the base plate. As Steve has said there are several posting for repair parts on ebay. Also the only way you can match regulators is look at the casting number on the side of the regulator. A right regulator will have an R above or below a 5 number such as T-77122 which is the number for a right door vent regulator for a 42-6267, 46-6267 and 47-6267 convert. Bill

gary griffin

Steve,

Both of mine have teeth missing in the gear (on the vertical shaft) and pieces missing on the Worm gear on the horizontal shaft that the handle mounts on. They  both sort of work after I cleaned them up but the gears are missing significant amounts of metal, and on one the vertical shaft is split also.  I could epoxy the shaft and not use them much and get by but as long as the car is apart I want to make it right.

There are units that look the same but are actually backwards as they are for the other side of the car and the handles end up behind the vertical shaft instead of in front of it and they turn the wrong direction.  I have one I bought installed right now then I noticed it was trying to work backwards by moving the leading edge of the window out into the airflow.

Yes I looked through all general motors units on eBay also. There are a few that look similar but with out the measurements it is hard to tell.  The 4 screw locations are critical and some look to have longer shafts out into the car for example also. Some have the screws in the side higher or lower too. So many variables.

The handle is behind the vertical shaft on most of them but for my car the handle is in front of the vertical shaft so the gears are backwards so to speak.

They seem to be made to open the window about 110 degrees so that the wind is being directed into the car by the window. They close the window a few degrees past closed to seal I imagine.
Gary Griffin

gary griffin

Thanks for the input Bill.  The vents have more variables than the door windows though, as I explained. I have been taking some apart and trying to get the parts interchanged but not working. As I said the big thing is that the shaft to the handle is in front of the vertical shaft on my car and also on the 75 series car I think and I think that may be because these cars have bulkheads behind the drivers seats and less room in the front seat than normal sedans and coupes.
Gary Griffin

Jeff Maltby 4194

Gary. Here's some 49 reg's (T-78551/50) from my stash for comparison.

Jeffo
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

gary griffin

Thanks Jeff, and Bill and Steve but we are still not in the same ballpark. My main body's are stamped steel held together by about 6 rivets. I sent a picture to Eddie Jones and he said the oldest he had of my stye are from 1953, but they are backwards as they have the horizontal shaft behind the vertical shaft. I did not figure that out until I installed one and it was operating backward trying to open the front of the vent out into the wind.  The one Bill posted looks like it would work if it was going the right way but when I looked again the horizontal shaft is way too low.

1942 was a weird year for Cadillacs and I think a lot was done that never was documented. I did see a picture of a 1946  75 series regulator but I am not sure it was correct either.
Gary Griffin

Bill Ingler #7799

Gary: If you believe the parts book and sometimes it is dead wrong, then looking at the pages from the parts book I posted above, the vent regulators from the rear doors of a 41-62 sedan will fit your car. What numbers are on the side of the regulators that were in your car originally ? If you have these numbers then they should be the same as the 41-62 sedan rear widow vent regulators. So if you know these numbers then finding your correct regulators would be a little easier. Pictured below is the left and right regulator for a 47 convert. The left regulator has the horizontal handle shaft in front of the vertical vent window clamp and just the opposite of that for the right regulator so that the vent windows open in the correct direction.  Can you post a picture of you original regulator?  Thanks  Bill                                 

Jeff Maltby 4194

Gary. These should work for your rivet replacement having very thin heads. We use these to attach cabinets together.

http://www.grainger.com/product/Binding-Post-WP73994/_/N-1z0dryp?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/5MA53_AS01?$smthumb$

Your regulator look like his Gary ? http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=120162.0

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Steve Passmore

Gary, I have just removed the door panels on my 41 coupe and can confirm that the handle shafts are forward of the vertical, checked with my sedan and they too are forward. Checked my parts bin and I have a pair thats also forward but with slight damage to where the window shaft attaches so it would seem they all went that way in 41. Did you find any?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

Not yet Steve,  If you send email address I will send a sketch and a picture of my needs.  The variables are many especially the length of the shaft out through the door to the crank.

garygriffin@Q.com
Gary Griffin

Paul Phillips

Gary
You may want to try Steve Cooley in FL for help with replacements.  His personal car is a 42, so he knows a lot about the uniqueness of that model, in addition to being in the parts and restoration business. 

I can also vouch for the ability to resurrect the old regulators by drilling out the swages for the retaining plate, then cleaning & re-lubing.  The bodies on my 41 were pot metal, so I was able to drill & tap then use a binder head screw to hold the retainer in place.  If you have broken gear teeth, that is a different issue, but for the ones that are just frozen with old grease, dirt & corrosion, it seems to work.  If you need to replace the internal clutch spring, I found those for reasonable price at Chev's of the 40's  https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/39233/Chevrolet_Window_Regulator_Clutch_Spring.html.  There is a 2nd style for earlier regulators as well.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

gary griffin

Thanks Paul.  The differences are more based on models than years.  In some models the horizontal shaft is ahead of the pivoting shaft and in others it is behind.  Yo can look at them still in the car and see what I mean.  Another variable is the thickness of the door controls the length of the horizontal shaft.  I think that basically cars with a bulkhead behind the front seat have the horizontal shaft ahead of the pivot point.
Gary Griffin