News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

41 through 49 Clutch Linkage

Started by Jay Friedman, November 20, 2011, 09:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Friedman

Some of the components of the clutch linkage in my '49 have worn out.  The clevis pins I can easily replace. 

I'm concerned about the part that Cadillac calls the Clutch Pedal To Relay Lever Rod, group number 5.0609, part number 144 0219.  This is the flat rod made of 3/16" x 3/4" steel with 3/8" holes at either end that goes between the bottom of the clutch pedal and the round, rotating "relay lever".  The holes on mine are worn into being oval-shaped.  According to my parts manual the flat rod is the same on all 41 through 49 cars except for Series 75 and 41-48 commercial chassis. 

A previous owner, now deceased, replaced this part on my car many years ago by making one himself (whose holes are now oval-shaped).  The home-made rod on my car is 13" between the centers of the 3/8" holes at either end.  A friend lent me a rod taken from a 41 whose holes are 13 3/4" apart.  I want to confirm that 13 3/4" is indeed the correct distance between the holes at either end of the rod before making a new one.  Can anyone who has this part removed from a manual transmission car please help by measuring the distance between the holes at either end?  Thanks in advance.

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jay. Take the flat stock to a shop that can laser cut you a new one, probably where Art had his spacers made.  I image you could have hardened bushings pressed in also.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Jay Friedman

Jeffo,

Making the rod is not the problem.  In fact, I can do it myself.  What I want to find out is the distance between the holes for the clevis pins at either end.  I think it should be 13 3/4 inches between the centers of the holes but want to confirm this by having someone measure their own rod.  It's a big job removing and reinstalling the linkage so I want to get it right the first time. 

Jay
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

Jay Friedman

I found an original '49 clutch rod and it is indeed 13 3/4 inches between the centers of the holes at either end of it.  Based on this I bought a length of 3/16" x 3/4" flat rod and will make a new one.
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984