News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Window sweeps

Started by Robert CLC #20619, May 16, 2008, 06:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert CLC #20619

What are the proper methods for installing window sweeps in a 47 conv?

Thanks
Robert
Robert

1975 Eldo Conv
1968 Deville Conv
1966 Eldo Conv
1947 62 Conv
1947 Buick Roadmaster Conv

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Robert: If you mean the outside window sweep on the top of the chrome door garnish molding and the sweeps on both sides of the rear quarter window moldings, then I believe originally they were held on by staples. I found heavy staples at a upholstery supply house for my 47 then used a Dremel to drill the holes through the new sweeps and the molding. Hand install the staples and then bend over the staples to hold. Took some time and patience plus a couple of beers but it came out good. I have seen a couple of cars with sweeps that were held on by some sealant which causes problems down the line when the sealant drys out from age, especially around the rear quarter sweeps.