News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Windshield trim.

Started by Steve Rinaldo, February 01, 2010, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

The chrome plating on the trim piece that is inserted in the windshield rubber on my  1937 60 series sedan is starting to peel off and it is driving me crazy. Is this trim required to hold the glass in place so that I can still drive the car while it is at the plating shop? Maybe someone has a set that is available? As always thanks, Steve

Mark Lowery

Steve,
I have a 37 LaSalle, model 5019 (4 door sedan) and it shares the body (from the firewall back) w/ the 60 series Cadillac.  Mine is in pieces, but as I recall, when I took the glass out last summer, there was no metal insert.  I can't imagine that the LaSalle and the cadillac series 60 had a different windshield glass retention system.  Wonder if someone familiar w/ both vehicles could comment on this.  The only metal piece on my 37 windshield is the center divide, and this appears to be stainless steel.  Is this the piece you are referring to, or is it truly the case that there is a metal insert around the entire perimeter of the gasket?

Mark Lowery, CLC #25216

Steve Rinaldo

The metal trim goes all around the windshield.It also has the center chrome piece.

harvey b

Hi Steve, the chrome trim is only a trim peice,it is 1 big peice that has a little V shaped clip that joins it together at the top in the middle,it is covered by the divider bar,you have to remove the windsheild from the inside of the car,remove the inner garnish molding and it should near fall out,remove the screws that hold the divider bar together,it will need 2 people to do this.the old rubber may be glued or stuck to the frame of the window,the trim peice is pressure fitted around the perimiter of the frame,i used a flat screwdriver,like a chisel to get it started,be careful not to bend or break it,it is one large peice,i dont know if the window would be tight if you put it back in without this trim?,you should put a new window gasket in when you reinstall the windsheild,Steele has them for these cars,the chrome trim does not attach to the rubber at all,it is strictly a "ornament",I think the rubber gaskets are different for the different series of cars too,It sounds like a big job, but it isnt that big of a deal,be careful of any paint buildup around the trim on the outside of the car,it could chip off ???,HTH Harvey B
Harvey Bowness