News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

windshield wiper arm restoration on 1957 Biarritz

Started by 57CaddyBiarritz, March 21, 2013, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57CaddyBiarritz

Hi-

I removed the windshield wiper arms from the car and realized that the arm itself is stainless steel, but the smaller piece that connects to the car is chrome.  Further, they're both connected by what appears to be a pivot rivet.  I'd like to polish the steel and re-chrome the other piece - any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?  Do I need to separate the two pieces?  If so, can it be done with out breaking the pivot rivet?  If the rivet breaks I'm not sure how I'd get it back together.  Attached is a picture of what I'm looking to separate

thanks,
John

Walter Youshock

You would have to disassemble everything.  There is a pressure spring that needs to be unclipped from the arm to the base.  You can just see it under the flat stainless cover that would be facing you from inside the car with the wipers on the car.  That cover is held on with tiny rivets that you'll never be able to replace so you have to pop it off without removing that delicate cover.  I used hemostats and also tied a piece of wire to the end of the spring otherwise, you'll never get it back on.

Now the chrome mounting end is flopping around on the arm.  If you want to separate the stainless arm from the chrome end, you have to destroy the rivet.  Carefully grind down one end and remove the rivet.  The 2 chrome pieces are held together with a "C" clip on a spring-loaded shaft.  You have to remove the clip to separate the parts.  Getting them back together is HORRIBLE!  I ground a small notch in the peg so I could use a small screwdriver as a lever and get the clip back on.

As far as rechroming--best to ask the shop before they do anything.  Once the shop starts grinding, stripping and plating, it will alter the clearances of the parts and you may have trouble getting the wipers back on the transmissions.  If the splines in the wiper mount part are messed up, the wiper may not go on OR the transmission could strip what's left and the wiper won't move with the transmission...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jon S

Are both arms shot or do you only need one?  I have an original in very good condition.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

57CaddyBiarritz

both aren't bad, but one is worse than the other.  Can you send a pic?  I'd be interested...

Jon S

Here are 3 pictures I took this AM.  The arm has a very slight scratch which is why my dad bought a replacement one in 1958.  If you use it on the Driver's side, you will not see it.  Since the car was never driven in the rain, the cams are as new.  It is a Trico direct from a brand new car.

I have no idea what this is worth.  I hope the pictures attach as I've had problems attaching non WEB-based pictures.

Jon

Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Jon, your wiper arm is really good looking! Many years ago, I bought one or a pair (I don't remember) NOS arm(s) from Ted Holcombe; I don't remember the price either, but it was not cheap.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jon S

Roger -

Thanks!  Actually the chrome on this arm looks slightly better than the ones on the car (which I would classify as mint). My son tells me to hold on to it since it is "part of the original car."  He found a pair of claimed NOS on Caddy Daddy's site for $583.50!

http://www.caddydaddy.com/1957-1858-Cadillac-Windshield-Wiper-Arms-p5672.html
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT