News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Window Winding Mechanism 1928 Cadillac

Started by Ken Andersen # 21420, November 14, 2006, 06:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Andersen # 21420

I have 2 questions that I hope I can obtain answers to.
1.  One of the four window winding mechanisms which are fitted to the four doors springs back on itself and will not stay set at whatever position you wind it too.  ( There is no glass fitted yet)  Why is this so??

2. The rear quarter window (7 seater sedan), winding mechanisms appear to lift the window via a chain that loops around two cogs. Part of the mechanism is an arm that appears to be sping loaded.  Does anyone have a photo of this type of mechanism?
The spring loaded sections on both on my window winders is almost rusted away, and the parts manual and other books that I have do not show this type of mechanism.  Would need photo or illustration in order to rebuild these two parts.

JIM CLC # 15000

11-14-06
KEN<, Dont know much, but, could it be that you remove too much rust?? Mike try a little RTV, or string to it tighten-up a little, so it will stay put when you release the winder.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Ken Andersen # 21420

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the advice.  I think it goes a little deeper than just removing too much rust.
On three of the mechansims, when you put preasure on the winder, there is no springing back of the winder. On the mechanism that will not stay put, when you apply this pressure, it will spring back to the original position.  It would seem that the smaller gear, at the end of the regulator gear, under the housing, that operates the quadrant, to which the arm to raise or lower the window is attached to, will not stay put.  I do not know what keeps this gear in position, and failing pulling the whole thing apart, cannot see anything different in the respective assemblies.
Other than the gear at the end of the window regulator, under the housing, what else would be contained with the gear to ensure that it stays in place without springing back?

JIM CLC # 15000

11-15-06
Ken, thanks for the acknowledgement of the reply. The problem that you are having with your window winders is a new one  on me.  I suspect a spring in the assembly is causing the unit to spring-back after pressure is released. Can you open-up the gear-box and check for wrapage? Also, can bushings be made & installed on the gear axles? I would not hasitate to drill out the rivets and  after making repairs, use bolts and lock washers to re-assembly, if you get the problem fixed, up-set the bolts so the nuts dont come loose or off. good time to lube the gears.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Ken Andersen # 21420

Dear Jim,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, it looks like I may have to drill out or flaten the metal prongs that hold the winder gear mechanism in place. This will allow me to exposed the regulator gear and see what the hell is going wrong in there.  Once put back together, I can either use bolts or weld the regulator plate back in place.  I am also wondering whether, once the weight of the window is resting on the control arm, if this weight may keep it in place.

Also another question.  
With all windows barr the windscreen and rear window, do you use sash channel at the sides and top of the window frames???
I know that the windows have sash channel at the bottom of the windows, but what guides the windows and keeps them in place around the window frame other than the rubber sash channel?
I cannot find any illustations or mention of side and top sash channel.

JIM CLC # 15000

11-17-06
Ken, Weight of window might keep mechinisem in place. as for the window channel, use channel that will fit over the glass. 1. If the windows have square corners, use stright sash window channel and miter the ends of the sash channel. 2. If the windows have round corners, Buy the bendablesash channel. The TOP and side sash channels are not rubber as the bottom one is, but a felt-like material thth will allow the window to be raised and lowered
easely.
I hope you can find the sash channels locally. If not, Lenn Steele Rubber Products Have it. Both bendable and non-bendable.
If an OLD auto glass shop doesnt have it,ask if they can get it for you.  Ken, The window farmes on my 38 have one-half channels attached to the window moldings. They also can be purchased either bendable or un-bendable.
Ken, I have never worked on a 28 Cadillac,but they didnt changed much between 28 and 40 (and later)as far as the constrution of the windows are concerned. Oh, use pop rivets to install the channels, one  in either end will do.  The old ones in my car had screws holding  them in place. The pop rivets pose less of a danger of chipping the glass.
HTH
Good Luck,JIM

Warren Rauch

Do you have a copy of the FISHER body manual for this car? The 1931 edition which covers a lot of the 1926-31 closed body style information is avalible reprint. Fisher also issued Bulletins from early 1928 to about 1932. (not reprinted) The window mechanisms were only serviced as units when new. The window channel on wood framed bodies is very different from metal framed . It is an all cloth and felt style. The cross section is a c shape but with a stiff cardboard or fabric bar accross the back of the c, the bar sticks out maybe a quarter inch on each side. Warren