News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1946 Engine serial numbers

Started by George Miller, January 19, 2005, 09:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Miller

I looked at a 1946 model 61 2 door sedan today.  The engine looks correct, but the serial number does not does not match the vehicle VIN (the engine serial number is 6 digits beginning with a 4, and is enclosed by 2 vertical brackets.  Do these cars have matching serial engine and body serial numbers?  If not, is there any way to validate if the car has its original engine and transmission?

Thanks for your help.

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi George-   When the 46-61 left the factory both the vin serial number(frame) and the engine serial number were the same and for the 46-61 consisted of 7 numbers. The block of serial numbers assigned to the 46-61 vin(frame) and engine were 5400001 to 5403001. Over the years engines have been changed in cars and WW2 produced a lot of surplus tank engines which have found their way into some of these cars. I am not familiar with the numbering of the tank engine so maybe someone else will comment on the numbering of the engine you found on the 46. The serial number for the 42-47 engine can be found on the right side of the engine block above and just behind the water pump. The vin number(frame) for the car registration is on the top of the frame about half way between the right engine mount and the firewall. I have never heard of matching numbers to a transmission.