News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"Baffled" valve covers...

Started by Steve W, July 20, 2012, 06:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

I was looking at valve covers (rocker covers...whatever you call 'em) and I was entertaining the thought of getting some chrome ones and painting my original ones at some point. However, almost all of the ones I see for the 472 say they are "un-baffled". What exactly do baffles do inside the valve covers? Is it just to keep it quiet, or is there some other benefit, like oil management?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

TJ Hopland

The baffles are usually for oil control.  A reason a person may not want baffles is if you have installed a shaft rocker system.  Most of the aftermarket ones you would use a grommet with a baffle in it for the PCV.    Most of the cast aluminum covers are supposedly pretty good.  On the chrome steel ones there are some really flimsy ones out there.  IF you want the chrome ones buy them from a vendor like MTS where they wont sell complete junk.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

The trouble with Chromed engine parts is that they are VERY HARD to seal when bolted to the engine.

That is that the Chrome Plating is so smooth at the mating to gasket surface, that no matter how hard you try to seal them, the oil will eventually seep through.

The best Chrome Covers have no plating on the gasket surface, but, these are very hard to find.

Now, Polished Aluminium, that is different.

Chrome is for show, as it retains internal heat.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Steve W

Good to know!!!

OK..so now I am looking for any valve covers EXCEPT chrome!
Polished aluminum seems interesting...or maybe I'll just look for a good, original pair from a wrecking yard and have them painted.
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866