News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Type A Transmission Fluid Replacement

Started by Rod Mackay, March 18, 2005, 01:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Mackay

Does any know if I can use Dexron III in place of Type A transmission fluid?

Paul Flykt # 18899

Yes. Dexron III is backwards compatible, meaning III replaces II and so on back to A per most transmission fluid manufacturers.
After saying that I am going to muddy the waters. There have been many preferences discussed on this board regarding which fluid to use. Some are using Dexron and some are using F, I know F is for Ford. I chose F based on my rebuilders recommendation. His reasoning being F more closely matches the characteristics of older type A. F is less slippery than Dexron.

Bob Chesnutt 21760

I know of people who use Dextron 3.  However, I found type A (I do not know if it is the same) in the three gas stations on the Kansas turnpike which is also Interstate 35.

Bob C

Jose Gomez

Rod,

Long time ago I posted a message on this site regarding this topic, I also included it the following URL for Warren Oil Company that carries Type A trans fluid http://www.warrenoil.com/wtrans.html. TARGET=_blank>http://www.warrenoil.com/wtrans.html.

The have several manufacture locations and any one closes to you could provide you with a local distributor.

I found a Wholesale place in the Dallas area that also carries the Type A (not from Warren) and I purchase a case for around $14. Good luck..!

Jose

Ken Usher CLC #22179

I am from Dallas and would really like to know the wholesaler that sells Type A Transmission fluid.  I have several Cadillacs and other cars that Type is specifed for.  Could you give me the name of the wholesaler?  Thanks.

Jose Gomez

Ken,

Sorry for the late reply, just got back home from surgery.

The place I purchase the Type A trans was from A to Z Wholesalers 11100 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75229.

They have a minimum of $40 purchase w/out a wholesale account. Im not sure if they still have it in stock. I also found a Dollar Store in Irving that carry the same brand (singles), however the last time I checked them they no longer had it in stock.

Good luck..!

Jose

dave #22791

I buy it at Dollar General for $1 a quart. In central Oklahoma thats the only place Ive seen it.